Oil leak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak?

So, last time I changed the oil, I noticed the pan is wet around the back. Its not coming from the intake manifold and definitely not from the drain plug. Its along the back of the pan to the bottom. Does this sound like the rear main seal or could it just be the oil pan gasket? Thanks guys.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Originally posted by Steve93Z
    So, last time I changed the oil, I noticed the pan is wet around the back. Its not coming from the intake manifold and definitely not from the drain plug. Its along the back of the pan to the bottom. Does this sound like the rear main seal or could it just be the oil pan gasket? Thanks guys.

Ahh...... project 93 has the same problem. I haven't been able to confirm 100% which one it is. I may pull the pan and replace the gasket and use some silicone. If that's not it, then it's the rear main.

Comment

I just noticed the same thing on mine also, except the oil is all concentrated around the low oils sensor but not ablve it, so it cant be the pan gasket. I noticed it being a little wet around the back but that just because it leaks to the bottom and then covers the whole surface. I'll let you know if the new low oil sensor clears it up.
      1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Originally posted by blackthunder50
        I just noticed the same thing on mine also, except the oil is all concentrated around the low oils sensor but not ablve it, so it cant be the pan gasket. I noticed it being a little wet around the back but that just because it leaks to the bottom and then covers the whole surface. I'll let you know if the new low oil sensor clears it up.
        That's familiar too. Project 93 had so many oil leaks, I'm suprised there was any in the pan. I had to replace the oil pressure sending unit, pull the intake and fix the dreaded intake oil leak, and the low oil sensor definately has just an ever so slight wet look from oil. It doesn't even drip yet so I'll get around to that one later. It's gone from leaving a huge puddle after every small drive down to just a few drips after a 20 mile round trip. I guess you have to expect a few leaks from a 12 year old car.

Comment

Well, she doesn't drip or anything, but I have noticed that I'm down to last hole on the dipstick (down from the 3rd hole that it was at). Its been almost 3k mi. since I did an oil change. I hope the motor isn't eating oil
          Steve

Comment

Well, she doesn't drip or anything, but I have noticed that I'm down to last hole on the dipstick (down from the 3rd hole that it was at). Its been almost 3k mi. since I did an oil change. I hope the motor isn't eating oil
            Take some brake cleaner and throughly clean the entire area around the rear main and oil pan. Go for a drive and then crawl under your car and take a look. It is motor oil and not trans fluid? Not saying you don't know the difference Stevo. Just smell it...very distinctly different smells.

My 97 WS6 did the same exact thing when I first bought it. Turned out to be the rear main. They really aren't that bad to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              Take some brake cleaner and throughly clean the entire area around the rear main and oil pan. Go for a drive and then crawl under your car and take a look. It is motor oil and not trans fluid? Not saying you don't know the difference Stevo. Just smell it...very distinctly different smells.

My 97 WS6 did the same exact thing when I first bought it. Turned out to be the rear main. They really aren't that bad to replace.
              I am insulted!!! Well, not that insulted lol

Naw, I'm pretty sure its oil. If I remember correctly, smelled and looked like motor oil. Is it possible/common for the input shaft seal on the tranny to leak?
              Steve

Comment

I am insulted!!! Well, not that insulted lol

Naw, I'm pretty sure its oil. If I remember correctly, smelled and looked like motor oil. Is it possible/common for the input shaft seal on the tranny to leak?
                Possible yes....common I would say no. If you say it's motor oil, then see where it's coming from first. It could be the oil level sensor also, but then again you would likely only see oil behind and below it.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                  Possible yes....common I would say no. If you say it's motor oil, then see where it's coming from first. It could be the oil level sensor also, but then again you would likely only see oil behind and below it.
                  I don't think its the sensor, but I'll look again and try and snap a couple pics. So, assuming its the rear main, how much of a pain am I looking at? Or, should I really attempt it myself? I don't have a tranny jack or any real specialty tools.
                  Steve

Comment

I don't think its the sensor, but I'll look again and try and snap a couple pics. So, assuming its the rear main, how much of a pain am I looking at? Or, should I really attempt it myself? I don't have a tranny jack or any real specialty tools.
                    It depends on how creative you are. It really helps to have a transmission adapter for a floor jack. For an automatic, the trans, converter and flexplate has to come out. For a stick, the trans, clutch and bellhousing along with flywheel has to come out. All for a stinking $20 seal.

Comment

Yeah getting the driveline out of the way is the majority of the work. Your M6 will easily come out all by yourself by just balancing it on your floorjack, although yes it is better and safer to use a trans adapter if you can round up one. The first time I pulled my 4L60E to do my first rear main seal, I was completely by myself and managed to get the trans and converter out on a floor jack w/o a trans adapter. Just gotta be patient.

Anyway, the seal itself has 3 basic "pry-points" cast into the rear main seal housing. Pry out the old seal and press in the new seal by gently tapping it in with a rubber mallet or small hammer with a piece of wood against the seal.

BTW, you might as well replace the rear main seal housing to block gasket while your there.

Comment

Ugh. I'm gettin' this feeling this is gonna be worse than doing the plugs and wires. Any idea on how much a trans adapter is for a floor jack roughly? Thanks for the help guys.
                        Steve

Comment

Ugh. I'm gettin' this feeling this is gonna be worse than doing the plugs and wires. Any idea on how much a trans adapter is for a floor jack roughly? Thanks for the help guys.
                          Harbor Freight has them for $52.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=507

Comment

Its honestly not that bad without an adapter especially if you can have someone there to help you balance the transmission, I don't mind buying tools when necessary because I know I'll always have them to use, but I'm also cheap lol and don't think I would ever see myself buying a transmission jack or adapter. Taking a trans off of an f-body isn't any worse than most other cars compared to plugs being about 100 times worse than most other cars. I had to pull the the transmission off my Jeep to replace the slave cylinder when I was 17 and I was able to just lay under it and press it off then slide myself out from under my Jeep. This summer I had no problem picking up my M6 to line it up to bolt it to the back of my motor on the K-frame and I'm sure my M6 was lighter than the 5-speed in my wrangler because that had a transfer case attached to it. A case of beer to entice a friend to help sounds cheaper to me .
                            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Little update here...

I checked her oil level again on Sat. and found that it was a little higher than it was the last time (slightly above the last hole instead of below). Could this be a result of the drop in temp. here?
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X