What is that noise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is that noise?

Just noticed the other day I have a "chirp, chirp, chirp" that seems to be in relation to the engine idling. Sounds like it is coming from the very top of the engine. Car is behaving normal, nothing unusual. Just sometimes the chirp is there, sometimes its not. I rev the engine up to see if it increases with revs, but the engine drows out the noise so I can't tell.

Doesn't have any relationship to the clutch being engaged or not, and doesn't seem to matter whether the engine is cold or hot.

Driving me mad; will end up taking it in sometime this week if I can't pinpoint it.

I recently had a new alternator and starter put on, plus a lower intake manifold oil leak fixed (all within the last 3,000 miles).
    1995 Chevy Camaro, V6, 5-spd Manual - Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor :-)

gonna take a wide guess here, but such chirping has been known to come form an alternator. Suggest you return to teh repair shop and have them check it out--could be a bearing in teh alternator.
    2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

you can also test by pulling off the belt and starting it.

Comment

could be the S belt also. mines done that 3 times. changed the belt and alls well. the o.e. belt sux i fianlly found out... got the goodyear gatorback, its garanteed for life. alls well.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Yah...

Yah, I recently got my '01 camaro v6 and it need a new belt... And it was making a sound like that so check and replace your s. belt...

The dealer told me that mine was just normal wear but if I was worried he would have it replace under warranty... So I drove it for a week and then he replaced it and I have not heard that noise since...

And if you do replace your s. belt yourself or at a cheap mechanic (unlike me and the dealer), get a good quality s. belt and it shouldn't come back for about 15 or 20K miles maybe less depending on where you live...

MARASPORT
          Thanks
          MaraSport

Comment

I haven't seen the idler pulley mentioned yet... its a fairly common thing... mine makes a little noise now. But either way... get a cardboard paper towel center and put it to your ear...if its truely on the top end of the engine it should be easy to find..once you locate it...terminate it with extreme prejudice!

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help. I've done some more 'diagnostics' and found that this only happens at engine idle. If I give it a little gas out of gear, and bring the RPM's up to about 1200 or so -- it goes away.
              1995 Chevy Camaro, V6, 5-spd Manual - Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor :-)

Comment

Working...
              X