Chatter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chatter?

Can someone give me a description of what clutch chatter feels like? I think my clutch is chattering sometimes, it just started outta nowhere. Ill shift from 2nd to 3rd and it wont go anywhere or rev up, the car kinda just shakes a bit then it finally kicks in with a little more gas and gets going, happened once about a week ago shifting from 2nd to 3rd and twice today, shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 4th into 5th, thanks in advance

SOLD 1995 Trans AM 6 Speed 68k Miles - Ram Air, Borla Cat-Back, AR TTII's, JL Audio W6v2 Stealthbox and 500/1 MonoBlock Amp, Alpine Component Speaker Systems

A clutch problem would not prevent your motor from reving up.

During normal driving, at what speeds to you make the shift from 1st to 2nd? From 2nd to 3rd? From 3rd to 4th? From 4th to 5th? From 5th to 6th?
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

I shift at 2000RPMs except going into 6th,1st to 2nd 15mph, 2nd to 3rd 25mph, 3rd to 4th at 35mph, 4th to 5th at 45mph and into 6th at 60mph . Its starting to happen in all gears now except 6th, randomly, yesterday it did it in 1st and it DID rev up and then grabbed n jolted forward. It only happens after ive been driving for at least 15 min, If i go to the store a few miles away, go in buy whatever i went to buy then leave, thats when it happens, havent driven it once after its been fully cooled down and had this happen.

SOLD 1995 Trans AM 6 Speed 68k Miles - Ram Air, Borla Cat-Back, AR TTII's, JL Audio W6v2 Stealthbox and 500/1 MonoBlock Amp, Alpine Component Speaker Systems

Comment

Sounds like the clutch is slipping. Could there be any oil leaking from the back of the motor onto the bell-housing / clutch assembly? That would cause a slip... or, your clutch could be just wearing out. Mileage doesn't really matter on clutches - the life of the clutch depends on driving conditions/habits. It might be time for a new one . . . .
        Darrin C
        '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
        07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Thanks for your help bro, If i wait too long to replace the clutch can anything else get damaged?

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
          Sounds like the clutch is slipping. Could there be any oil leaking from the back of the motor onto the bell-housing / clutch assembly? That would cause a slip... or, your clutch could be just wearing out. Mileage doesn't really matter on clutches - the life of the clutch depends on driving conditions/habits. It might be time for a new one . . . .

Comment

Working...
          X