BFG Drag Radials past their prime?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFG Drag Radials past their prime?

I decided to put my street wheel and tires on the Formula for the first time in at least 2 years. Cleaned them all up, mounted them (they sure look awful small compared to the 28" slicks), checked the pressure, and took the car out for a test drive. After warming the engine, oil and trans up well, I decided to do a little "fly by" past the house across the street from mine, for the benefit of the three Mustang owners who live there........ nailed it from a 10MPH roll, and before the throttle was 1/2-way to the floor, the rear end was loose and sliding all over the place. My "fly by" turned into a very good impression of a John Force burnout.

The 315/35-17 BFG Drag Radials are about 4-1/2 years old, and haven't been on the car in at least 2 years. They were stored in an unheated garage, away from direct sunlight. Do you think they've "dried out" or somehow lost any semblance of traction?

I did notice when I was cleaning the wheels and tires that the tread had the "brown" tinge that Joe posted about last week. Maybe they'll hook better after a few more burnouts?????? When they were new, they provided fairly decent traction, only becoming a problem when I switched from 3.73's to 4.11's.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

I have a set of BFG Drag Radial that have been stored outside in the shade for 2 years also. Mine haven't discolored at all though. I have noticed though that the rubber feels harder when I dig my nail into the tread. I'm sure that a few trips around the street ought to soften up the rubber enough to regain that lost traction. Speaking of John Force, I got to see him race today. He didn't do so well. And man is his daughter pretty!
    1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Same thing here Fred. Mine don't hook unless I roast em first.

Comment

Ditto. Mine got all sticky after my first big burnout at the track and now all kinds of pebbles & stuff are sticking to them. They are also about 5 years old & have a brown tinge to them. But they got real sticky after the burnouts, although that was not enough to matter for my 60 time.

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
          ...My "fly by" turned into a very good impression of a John Force burnout.
          That is a perfect description to fire the imagination.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

from what I understand it is Ozone that kills the rubber... in addition to sunlight. I'f I remember the Kerminator right that is... I think the best way to store them is to put them in a sealed plastic, airtight bag...

but hey, if they're still great and handle great, I see no problem
            Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
            Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
            pics and info

Comment

Are they safe?

friends:

I read at Road & Track time ago that tyres weren´t safe of failure after several years of use. What is your experience in long term life expectancy?
              1997 z28 ex Pony Express racer ( amateur rally and track day car now ) w/ 383 LT1, V1-T s/c, Victor Jr. heads, Engle custom cam, Accel DFI, Alcon 14" / Baer 13" brakes, Strange rr. axle. Full roll cage, seats and belts.

´71 Camaro L-48 ex-vintage track day racer clone, ´71 AMC Javelin, ´69 Plymouth Barracuda 340 clone, ´70 Barracuda project car, ´69 Shelby Mustang GT350 project car, ´94 Mustang GT s/c track day car.

Self portrait: Nowadays more a collector than a racer . Still crazy for those Trans-Am races.

Comment

My experience is that they harden after a few years, and some seem to crack while others don't crack. When you buy new tires, the ride comfort of the car always seems to improve noticeably. Apparently, the solvents & oils in the tires keep evaporating and the useful life of a tire is really about 6 years, assuming you haven't worn it out (according to tire rack). And if you seal them in plastic bags at room temp, they last longer. I store mine in black plastic trash bags in the garage - that's the best I can do. If you wind up with some hard tires, then it's time to make a burnout video.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanZ28
                  I have a set of BFG Drag Radial that have been stored outside in the shade for 2 years also. Mine haven't discolored at all though. I have noticed though that the rubber feels harder when I dig my nail into the tread. I'm sure that a few trips around the street ought to soften up the rubber enough to regain that lost traction. Speaking of John Force, I got to see him race today. He didn't do so well. And man is his daughter pretty!

This thread is pointless without pictures of John Force's daughter!

Dave M
                  Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M

2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Wow...seems like the "big teeth" runs in the Force family (haha) I always thought John's teeth were large because of a bad denture mold...
                      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M

How dare I! Well, Jeff beat me to it, but here are some more! I think the teeth are a result of the G forces pulling up on her gums!

1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

John done good!
                          Dave M
                          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
                          X