What do you all think of these tires?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you all think of these tires?

Ok, I need to get some replacement tires on my 02 Pontiac Grand Am GT. I have 45K miles and I am still running the stock RSA's. Unfortunately, I am getting this awful sound at low speed, I guess the RSA's are wearing out and theres a TSB for this issue. Anyway's, I am leaning towards these Michelins. I live in IL and need a good performance all season tire - rain, snow, etc. What do you alll think of these? Will they be sufficient? Please help me out!

Jeff

Heres a link to the thinks I'm talking about

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=2
    One SWEET 02 GAGT w/ tons of mods!

I'm by no means a tire expert, but they look like a good choice to me. And from my experience, Michelins last a long time.

*Pam*

2002 Firebird 3.8 A/T - all stock
    1998 Ford Contour SVT #1578 of 6535

Comment

Awesome tire. I didn't have the all seasons but I had the Pilot Sports and they out-handled my BFG KDW's by a long shot. Great wear and quiet as well.

Comment

or if u want so save a couple bucks. look at the assurance triple tread from goodyear. my bro has em and he can walk up the hills in the snow like nothing, awesome in the rain and quite. plus they get about 80K to em. wolfman should chime in here soon
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

The reviews look great for that tire! My other wheels had all-season performance tires and they were great in the summer and the winter. The track rating might be on the lower side
          1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

tyre opinion

Jeff02cagt:

On Michelin tyres, I think they are usually either awesome, specially the top of the line models, or frankly bad, specially prone to sidewall problems. The roads I drive in are usually full of potholes.

It seems to have the number one ratings on the comparison group of the tyre survey. Just be carefull to consider that this is a general opinion survey, not the result of formal testing. So small differences between tyres here are some times non significant.

I like japanese tyres for the blend of handling, grip and price. Also because I drive on a zero snow and ice zone, but we do have rain and my choices are usually on the best dry grip/handling interests. No all weather capabilities required.

Tirerack is full of options, so you decide. It seems a good choice.

By the way, try to check the december issue on Car & Driver: They test eleven hign performance tyres.

Thanks.

Lordvader
            1997 z28 ex Pony Express racer ( amateur rally and track day car now ) w/ 383 LT1, V1-T s/c, Victor Jr. heads, Engle custom cam, Accel DFI, Alcon 14" / Baer 13" brakes, Strange rr. axle. Full roll cage, seats and belts.

´71 Camaro L-48 ex-vintage track day racer clone, ´71 AMC Javelin, ´69 Plymouth Barracuda 340 clone, ´70 Barracuda project car, ´69 Shelby Mustang GT350 project car, ´94 Mustang GT s/c track day car.

Self portrait: Nowadays more a collector than a racer . Still crazy for those Trans-Am races.

Comment

I don't know about Grand Ams specifically, but if that awful sound is a sort of "wump wump wump" that is based on speed, then it might just be feathering on the outside treads.

Most noticeable when coming to a stop at a light or whatever.

You might be able to make it alot more bearable by just putting those on the back. Should get a fea with new tires, regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by LORDVADER
                Jeff02cagt:

On Michelin tyres, I think they are usually either awesome, specially the top of the line models, or frankly bad, specially prone to sidewall problems. The roads I drive in are usually full of potholes.

It seems to have the number one ratings on the comparison group of the tyre survey. Just be carefull to consider that this is a general opinion survey, not the result of formal testing. So small differences between tyres here are some times non significant.

I like japanese tyres for the blend of handling, grip and price. Also because I drive on a zero snow and ice zone, but we do have rain and my choices are usually on the best dry grip/handling interests. No all weather capabilities required.

Tirerack is full of options, so you decide. It seems a good choice.

By the way, try to check the december issue on Car & Driver: They test eleven hign performance tyres.

Thanks.

Lordvader

I don't agree with you on Michelin being either good..or bad... they don't make a bad tire. Their quality control is far and above that of any tire company in the world. I have toured their greenville sc plant, in fact, i'm the only federal govt. employee that has besides an Army General from Tacom.... the French are very strict about pride and quality of the Michelin line. Michelin has never had a formal NHTSA recall. Their top of the line performance tires are OE on some of the finest exotics in the world....and their entire line is suited for most any type of passenger carrying vehicle out there. Their truck casings have been no. 1 and no.2 for retreadability steadily for the last 8 years.

The sidewall strength is one of the best, if you are suffering from pothole damage, then underinflation is usually the culprit.

Am I a fan of theirs for my f bodies and my new gto? no. for my driving style, i prefer a simple dry traction z rated tire with beefed up belt edge support for supurb handling and stabilization of footprint. BF Goodrich is my first choice...because tread wear is not a factor.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Wolfman:

Thanks for your information which makes me to rethink my impressions on these tyres.

Its only that, through the years, I have had some sporadic failures on the wall and I find out those failed on a couple of Town & Country minivans stock tyres, they seemed to me to have only cotton threads on the wall, Apparently I found no rayon or any other synthetic cord type in the failure area of the tyre which usually tears off and I must explain these failed on touches about 35 mph or slower with deep pot hole edges, of the very sharp type we have here because a thick pavement carpet is used. Same thing hapenned to me on a Rabbitt on two original Michelin tyres years ago.

This Kind of failures never happened to me riding on japanese or american companies performance tyres I have had on several vehicles. For the moment I will check for tyre pressure more carefully to avoid possible failures.

For the good experiences, I still have a set of Michelin MXW, french made originally built for the Porsche 959 I think of full Kevlar construction. These have withstood road disasters where the wheel has been broken with no harm at all, not only once. They are still good, has been ever punctured even. For the handling, this is the only tyre I can slide on the rain and adjust the slide angle of the car with the throttle position. It is so good, It seems to have a computer inside.

Thanks.
                  1997 z28 ex Pony Express racer ( amateur rally and track day car now ) w/ 383 LT1, V1-T s/c, Victor Jr. heads, Engle custom cam, Accel DFI, Alcon 14" / Baer 13" brakes, Strange rr. axle. Full roll cage, seats and belts.

´71 Camaro L-48 ex-vintage track day racer clone, ´71 AMC Javelin, ´69 Plymouth Barracuda 340 clone, ´70 Barracuda project car, ´69 Shelby Mustang GT350 project car, ´94 Mustang GT s/c track day car.

Self portrait: Nowadays more a collector than a racer . Still crazy for those Trans-Am races.

Comment

Working...
                  X