Driving in cold weather?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving in cold weather?

Everyone I've ever talked to says on of the hardest things you can put a car through is a Michigan commute in January. I don't doubt that they're right, but what exactly is it that makes it so tough on them. I mean, as long as you garage the car when you aren't using it and you aren't driving through snow, it isn't immediately apparent to me what could be screwing things up. Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks.

I'm not sure if they salt the roads but salt stays on even when there is no snow. It requires a good rain to get it to run off. When driving on it dry it goes into a dusty form and gets into everything, way worse than when its actually snowy.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

exactly.
      the salt that is put onto roads gets into EVERYTHING. if you get your car an underbody flush once a week it can reduce the amount of corrosion. of course if the car is kept in the garage for the ENTIRE winter, you avoid this salt.
      2000 Firebird, midnight blue, chrome 5 spokes

Comment

even if they don't salt the roads, but toss sand around, it's like taking sandpaper to the underside of your car. nasty, nasty stuff. i guess the major problem is that you cannot see the damage caused until, sometimes, years later. this is what causes the wheelwell and quarter panel rot on most cars.

november until march (sometimes april with this screwy NJ weather) the car stays parked and covered under the carport - i'm po', no garage yet.

Comment

Working...
        X