Alternative driveshaft fix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative driveshaft fix

Instead of buying the 1LE Driveshaft to minimize the vibrations Im getting, even with the tires balanced, I found a specialized driveshaft place in my area where they balance steel driveshafts. I dont mind not freeing up those 5 hp or whatever it is for almost 300 bucks. Hopefully this balancer place will fix it up. I'll post up the results when its done.
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Originally posted by blackthunder50
    Instead of buying the 1LE Driveshaft to minimize the vibrations Im getting, even with the tires balanced, I found a specialized driveshaft place in my area where they balance steel driveshafts. I dont mind not freeing up those 5 hp or whatever it is for almost 300 bucks. Hopefully this balancer place will fix it up. I'll post up the results when its done.
    Geeze...... an aluminum shaft can be had for alot less than $300.

Comment

Like I said before I paid like $100 for my LS1 aluminum drive shaft from http://www.tennesseeauto.com/
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

$300 bucks for just balancing a stock steel driveshaft??? Wow, I'm in the wrong business. And...you will NOT gain more than even 1 HP from getting the DS balanced. Pick up a used aluminum DS for less than $120 and be done with it.

Comment

i thought some1 mention that steel d/s dont responed to balacing like aluminum
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I've read posts from people trying to balance the stock steel DS without success. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought the TSB indicated the steel DS's had a problem with one of the yokes not being centered properly. If it was a simple matter of balancing the old DS, the TSB wouldn't have been to replace the stock steel DS with a new aluminum DS.... they would have just negotiated a bulk rate for rebalancing the steel ones.

Spohn Performance will sell you a brand new "Extreme Duty" steel driveshaft for $340.

http://www.spohn.net/category.cfm?categoryid=1101

$300 is way too much for simply balancing a driveshaft.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Oh no no, I was talking about buying an aluminum driveshaft for 200 something and then paying shipping to almost total 300. I could try and get my steel one balanced for less than 50 dollars.

I found some aluminum Ls1 shafts on ebay for like 100 dollars, do you think that would be a god idea throwng one of those in there. It should bolt right up?
              1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                Like I said before I paid like $100 for my LS1 aluminum drive shaft from http://www.tennesseeauto.com/

I found one from tennessee auto, after you installed yours did the vibrations go away? I just want to get rid of these vibrations lol there driving me nuts! Thanks

Comment

I found some aluminum Ls1 shafts on ebay for like 100 dollars, do you think that would be a good idea throwng one of those in there. It should bolt right up?
                  Yes, it will bolt right up.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:
                  SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I found one from tennessee auto, after you installed yours did the vibrations go away? I just want to get rid of these vibrations lol there driving me nuts! Thanks
                    I wasn't trying to solve a vibration problem (I didn't have a vibration). I converted from an automatic to a 6spd and went ahead and changed the rear end from 2.73s to 3.42 so I thought I'd go ahead and get the aluminum driveshaft while I was at it. I also converted from LT1 brakes to LS1 brakes since I had the LS1 rear brakes on the axle I bought. I spent over $2500 that day at tennessee auto. I got some package pricing from Scott since I bought so much stuff.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28

Got the new shaft today and put it in. Torque arm bushing needs repair before i drive it, but i hope it elimantes the vibrations! Thanks for the advice to buy it from tennesse auto! The part looks new as well as the u joints and yoke.

Comment

Got the new shaft today and put it in. Torque arm bushing needs repair before i drive it, but i hope it elimantes the vibrations! Thanks for the advice to buy it from tennesse auto! The part looks new as well as the u joints and yoke.
                        Cool beans. I just had to order a spare tire from them. I ordered it Thursday late afternoon and got it yesterday (Tuesday).

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                          I've read posts from people trying to balance the stock steel DS without success. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought the TSB indicated the steel DS's had a problem with one of the yokes not being centered properly. If it was a simple matter of balancing the old DS, the TSB wouldn't have been to replace the stock steel DS with a new aluminum DS.... they would have just negotiated a bulk rate for rebalancing the steel ones.

Spohn Performance will sell you a brand new "Extreme Duty" steel driveshaft for $340.

http://www.spohn.net/category.cfm?categoryid=1101

$300 is way too much for simply balancing a driveshaft.
                          I have the Spohn Extreme Duty steel driveshaft and it was terribly out of balance when I got it. I tried clocking it, but that didn't help. I tried the hose clamp trick and that helped some after a lot of trial & error. I took it to a driveshaft shop and they pointed out the off-center spicer yoke and it was visibly defective. They said they've never seen anything like it before. They rebalanced it for $50 and it seemed OK after that, and it's been on there for about 4 years now. After my screwed up torque arm which must have the bolts jammed together by a guy with a big hammer or impact driver, I'm 2 for 2 for defective parts from Spohn. And he already discontinued the parts for the torque arm.

Comment

Working...
                          X