problems with firebird

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with firebird

have a 91 firebird with a 5.0 tbi and am having problems getting it running. the car starts fine but once it is running it sputters and shuts off, when i give it gas fire pops out of the throttle body. i was thinking it has to be either be that there is a clog in the fuel line, or the fuel injectors are no good. any ideas?

I'd check ignition first. Maybe the timing is off? Typically, For fire to come out the TB/carb there needs to be an intake valve open when the spark plug fires.

I'd replace the cap, rotor and wires (easy on your car) then put a timing light on it and see what it looks like.

How many miles are on it? Is it possible the timing chain is badly stretched out? If you see the timing jumping around when you have the light on it, that would indicate to me the timing chain may be worn badly.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

has 100,000 miles, never rebuilt

Comment

check ur timing as trace said. set it about 4* for whatever reason the tbis love the 4* base timing. check out thirdgen.org there has been millions of these type problems. u can prob find 100 threads bout it
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
        X