brake question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake question

Towards the end of the summer, i had my master cylinder repalced. The master cylinder was replaced with a remanufactured one. After getting that done the pedal felt really firm and i got plenty of response. However after a few weeks the pedal started to travel much further before i would feel any saort of response adn sometimes just holding the brake in would cause it to slowly slide towards the floor. Do you think the master cylinder could be bad again or could there just be some air in the brake lines or something? i've checked adn I don't see any leaking fluid and the level stays the same. The car is now off the road so I couldn't take it back to them to get it checked out. Any thoughts on what it could be?
    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

bleed it out, and see how it feels. check ur bakes, and wheel cylinders. and if everything checks out, call the shop up and tell em wahts going on
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

That's usually the sign of a master cylinder going bad.

Are you using silicone brake fluid (sometimes called DOT5)? I have seen several case including myself of people's brakes doing that with silicone fluid. They change the fluid to DOT 3 or 4 and it goes away. I had to on my Mustang too.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

3rd gens only came with dot 3. he shouldnt ahve any dot 5 in there

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
          3rd gens only came with dot 3. he shouldnt ahve any dot 5 in there
          They also came with regular motor oil. Does that mean they shouldn't have Mobil 1 in it? A lot of people upgrade stuff. DOT5 is supposed to be better than Dot3 or 4 because it won't absorb water. But I have seen people have problem with DOT5.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

dot 5 doesnt and its also a different make up. dot 3 and 4 are made to absorb water becuz as the brakes heat up and cool down(the fluid) some amounts of mositure is formed. thats why its in street vehicles. and also if dot 5 was used the rest of his seals woulda been messed up(i beleive, gotta check my brake book again)

Comment

thanks for the replies. Im gonna have to take a closer look at it and maybe call the shop to see whats up.

the master cylinder really wasnt that expensive, if i can get one for a decent price is it difficult to install? I think ill check the reapir/ service manual adn see what it says about the brake fluid too.
              -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Comment

The DOT 5 brake fluid could harm some rubber brake system parts, that's why it is NOT recommended to use in a DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid sytem......
                The BMW DOT 4 is an excellent brake fluid....

Regards
                Dochidalgo
                97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

since im not home and dont ahve the manuals with me does anyone know what the brake fluid is thats supposed to be in here, maybe 88bird5spd could check since i know hes got a third gen too?
                  -Dan

Comment

that's funny...

I was looking through my haynes manual on 3rd gens for a specified brake fluid and this is what it gave me.

"See recommended lubercants and fluids in your owner's manual"

Can't help ya here...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

huh thats wierd although i think i do have a manual at home that tells me all of the different fluids to use. ill be able to check it in about a week and let you guys know what i find.
                      -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by thenuge876
                        since im not home and dont ahve the manuals with me does anyone know what the brake fluid is thats supposed to be in here, maybe 88bird5spd could check since i know hes got a third gen too?
                        All 3rd gens use DOT 3 brake fluid.
                        1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
                        Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
                        Trans: TH700R4
                        Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
                        X