another optispark question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another optispark question

Joe or injureer?, one of you guys helped me out last time don't remember which but anyhow... I uninstalled my optispark and it was loaded with rust. With the new optispark, can I put some kind of sealant on the outside edges to secure the inner parts from contamenants(sp?)?. Maybe like 3M weather sealer?

Or have any of you guys heard of anyone doing this?.

The best way to keep it from getting corrosion is to use dielectric grease on all your plug wire boot ends and make sure they firmly seat into the optispark. That goes a long way toward keeping it fresh. What year do you have?

Comment

I have a '95 vented opti.

ay, I just looked at the Jegs MSD cap and rotor. Anything special about it that you know of?

btw, thanks for the reply.

Comment

The MSD cap and rotor is just that, the cap and rotor. It does not contain any of the electronics. Their cap and rotor is supposed to be a better quality material with increased resistance to arcing and crossfire. For only a few bucks more ($200 complete)you can get a complete plug and play AC Delco unit from a discount GM vendor. With the dielectric grease, it should last 100K miles.

Comment

Thanks, I just want to make sure because I want this to last because this is the second opti i've replaced and I want to do it right with longevity.

Evidently the first time I didn't tight the screws on the cap tight enough or something...

I have to tell you something you might get a chuckle out of. I was attemping to remove the crank pulley/harmonic balancer right?. Well, I used a crank puller that has the 3 bolts that you screw into pulley. Then...haha I pulled and pulled and pulled on that pulley remover til i was beet red in the face. After 5 days of figuring out what I was doing wrong I went to o'reilly's auto and bought a 3-jaw crank puller and it came right out.

I forgot that the crank pulley was attached to the crank itself.

Comment

Working...
          X