Brights switch not clicking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brights switch not clicking

The brights switch doesn't click and I have to hold it back manually for them to turn on. Any fix?
    Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

You'll have to drop the steering column to get to the switch. It's located about 2/3 of the way down on the topside of the column, right next to the ignition switch.

Comment

I had what sounds like the same problem. The switch is good but The plastic around the switch became lose. So I just put a pinch of JB weld where the plastic base meets the steering colum. It has held for several months now. This is not proper fix of course. But it gets the high beams to click on without having to use two hands.
      96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

My 92 has a similar problem. I have noticed that the only way to get them to come on is to hold back on the lever and then pull the steering wheel back(pull back on the top of the wheel). Then they work like they are supposed to.
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

The switch may be simply out of adjustment, but since you have to drop the column, you may as well replace the switch.... it's not expensive and it beats having to do the job all over again.

Comment

If it stopped clicking then something in the part must be broken, correct? Is this something I can pick up at a parts store or do I have to go thru the dredded dealership?
            Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

It's a common part available at most auto parts stores.

Comment

Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Hmmm....I just replaced my ignition switch a few months ago...maybe I shoulda done the dimmer switch as well .....its a bit of a PIA to drop that column....

1 tip though, when you undo the steering shaft joing in the engine compartment, put some tape on the shaft before loosening the joint so you know how far it has to be inserted when you put everything back together.
                  95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Originally posted by 4THGEN Z
                    Hmmm....I just replaced my ignition switch a few months ago...maybe I shoulda done the dimmer switch as well .....its a bit of a PIA to drop that column....

1 tip though, when you undo the steering shaft joing in the engine compartment, put some tape on the shaft before loosening the joint so you know how far it has to be inserted when you put everything back together.
                    Good tip. I added it to the write-up.
                    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X