Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre test on december C&D issue

Dear friends:

December issue on Car & Driver includes a comparison test on eleven high performance tyres.

Overall winner... you better buy it. A lot of information including a comparison Zo6/Viper test.Dont miss it.

To be continued.

Lordvader
    1997 z28 ex Pony Express racer ( amateur rally and track day car now ) w/ 383 LT1, V1-T s/c, Victor Jr. heads, Engle custom cam, Accel DFI, Alcon 14" / Baer 13" brakes, Strange rr. axle. Full roll cage, seats and belts.

´71 Camaro L-48 ex-vintage track day racer clone, ´71 AMC Javelin, ´69 Plymouth Barracuda 340 clone, ´70 Barracuda project car, ´69 Shelby Mustang GT350 project car, ´94 Mustang GT s/c track day car.

Self portrait: Nowadays more a collector than a racer . Still crazy for those Trans-Am races.

How 'bout I just read it online and not give them any of my hard earned money?

http://www.caranddriver.com/default.asp?section_id=1

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
    '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
    Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Hello Bru333:

I,m sorry I can not understannd. Your opinion is because maybe you consider the test procedure is not good or else? Feel free to explain me, please.

Thank you.

Regards.

Lordvader
      1997 z28 ex Pony Express racer ( amateur rally and track day car now ) w/ 383 LT1, V1-T s/c, Victor Jr. heads, Engle custom cam, Accel DFI, Alcon 14" / Baer 13" brakes, Strange rr. axle. Full roll cage, seats and belts.

´71 Camaro L-48 ex-vintage track day racer clone, ´71 AMC Javelin, ´69 Plymouth Barracuda 340 clone, ´70 Barracuda project car, ´69 Shelby Mustang GT350 project car, ´94 Mustang GT s/c track day car.

Self portrait: Nowadays more a collector than a racer . Still crazy for those Trans-Am races.

Comment

He's just saying that there's no need to buy the magazine when you can read the article online.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Oh! I´m sorry it really was so obvios! I forgot about the online option.

Thank you.

Lordvader.

Comment

I wonder how much money passed below the tables to influence the outcome of this one?

Having dealt with the tire industry now since 1983, I can tell you there is a lot of that "swaying" going on.

When I managed the Federal Tire Qualification Program, it was mandatory that I be at the test site at the begining and the end of each test so that I witnessed the original and final tread depths and did the first and last casing inspections... that way, industry could not sneak in the back door and "persuade" $$ the independent tester to fudge numbers.............

the Eagle F1 is a good tire, but its not that good.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I wish they had included the Firestone Firehawk WideOval. From what I've read and experienced it's a pretty good bang for the buck tire.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                I wish they had included the Firestone Firehawk WideOval. From what I've read and experienced it's a pretty good bang for the buck tire.
                yes, that it is.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                  yes, that it is.
                  Better than the KDW?
                  Steve
                  79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                  87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                  93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                  http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                    Better than the KDW?
                    Here's a Tire Rack test:
                    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...hawk+Wide+Oval

According to them it looks like a draw in dry conditions. They give the edge to the Firehawk in the wet. KDW is a bit more expensive.
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                      Here's a Tire Rack test:
                      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...hawk+Wide+Oval

According to them it looks like a draw in dry conditions. They give the edge to the Firehawk in the wet. KDW is a bit more expensive.
                      Thanks Joe. I've read that one and that's the reason I'm tempted to get the Firestones. Any idea on the longevity vs. the KDW? Ken? Anyone?
                      Steve
                      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I may be a little biased as I'm running WideOvals, but haven't tried the KDW. When I got mine there was a buy 3 get 1 free promotion. I can't speak toward longevity. I had Firehawk SZ50EP's on a 96 Z28 before these on my 99 Z28. My gut feeling is that the SZ50EP was better in hydroplaning resistance. WideOval seems fairly quiet with a decent ride...handling is excellent. In the summer months I had a hard time breaking them loose from a stop.

Buying tires is difficult. The article was right when it said it's like buying a mattress.
                        Joe K.
                        '11 BMW 328i
                        '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Wolfman and friends:

It seems to me you have a lot of experience on tyres.

Would you be so kind to give an opinion on these tyres and test? The g test difference among them is only 0.03 (0.95 to 0.92), which it seems to me not really a significative difference for this performance level. If we can trust the results.

You see, I am in search of a dry tyre with the best grip and handling, still with a 10,000-15,000 mile life expectancy to last for at least 2 to 3 years at its performance level. Something I can use on track days, and high speed mountain roads, tarmac rally style driving, for my ´97Z28, which has a full body with roll cage and frame reinforcements, adjustable Konis, Eibach, swaybars, polyurethane, 17X9.5 wheels, and big brakes. I would like to use 285/40-17 size at least or larger. Would consider also bigger wheels, even 18" size.

Tirerack nowadays, I find in short information, especially for those of us who need a very high level sports tyre with a reasonable life expectancy.They have no survey open numbers for the Wide Ovals and other new models.

I think Goodrich KD is tops performance but life maybe is not even good for 6,000 miles. I also have considered Yokos A032 because they are symmetric. They are used on the open class cars at the Carrera Panamericana road race here.

I have read that most of the modern so called DOT race tyres loose their grip after several heat cycles on the road. Last tyre used is Firestone SZ50EP, from which I expected more grip.

For me, the best has been Bridgestone´s Potenzas RE71 no longer in production. It is my impresion older design tyres grip better . Would this be because the larger wheel diameter cars use now?

Anticipated thanks.

Lordvader.

Comment

Working...
                          X