LS6 Eng? in a 02 Z28

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS6 Eng? in a 02 Z28

I have a stock 2002 Z28 I have ran 12.8@110 and I was talking to a buddy who says some of the later 02's have LS6 blocks in them if thats true does anyone know where to find the number on the block and which numbers are LS6's

There's no difference in power between the LS6 and LS1 block.

All '01 and '02 LS1 engines received the LS6 intake manifold.

I think I have heard that the full-blown LS6 engine did make it in to some standard production '02 f-bodies (I know it was put in to the ZL1 Stage 1 cars)... but I don't know if that's just an urban legend or not.

At any rate - those are STRONG numbers for your car if it's stock. Are you the original owner?
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

It is quite possible that you do indeed have the LS6 block but unlikely that you have the 243 heads (LS6). 241 heads are LS1's. About a 1/4 of the 2002's got the LS6 Block. The casting number is at the top of the driver's side deck. Take a mirror and place it behind the block to check.

Here is the LS6 block and casting number:

And here is a shot of where you can look for the LSx head casting numbers:

Comment

what is the difference between the two blocks
        2000 trans am auto, Afr 205,tr 220/220 112, mti lid, 160t,umi sfc,hooker headers and ory y,loud mouth. bellow,pr's,harland rockers,new lifters,ls6 oilpump,rollermaster doubler roller, msd wires.

Comment

Does your car have regular street tires or drag radials to produce that track time. A 12.8 @110 with street tires and a stock car would be very impressive.
          slp longtube headers, slp y-pipe, high-flow cats, superchips programmer, slp 85mm air sensor, slp loudmouth exhaust, ws6 hood, slp cai, kn air filter, slp high-flow lid, smooth bellows, tb bypass, subframes, lca's, panhard bar, torque arm.

Comment

Improved oil control..... read this (about 1/2-way down the page, next to the cutaway engine photo):

http://www.idavette.net/hibz06/page3.htm
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              Improved oil control..... read this (about 1/2-way down the page, next to the cutaway engine photo):

http://www.idavette.net/hibz06/page3.htm
              Fred, that makes sense that he could squeeze out a little more power with the better oil control because it allows for higher rpms but wouldn't that be irrelevant with a stock f-body because the computer would have the same revlimiter whether its a ls1 or ls6 block?
              1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

The higher you wind it, the more sense it makes. The link I posted is just an explanation of one of the major differences between the LS1 and LS6 block. Simply putting one in an F-Body would not provide a noticable gain. On the other hand, if you were already modding the engine, and had improved its breathing capabilities, it would be very simple to up the rev limiter and take advantage of all your changes, including the breathing, the oil control and anything else you had done.

I don't see it as a big factor one way of the other. The serious Gen III engine builders generally chose to spend $6,000+ for a C5-R block - 7 liters of excitement.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                  The higher you wind it, the more sense it makes. The link I posted is just an explanation of one of the major differences between the LS1 and LS6 block. Simply putting one in an F-Body would not provide a noticable gain. On the other hand, if you were already modding the engine, and had improved its breathing capabilities, it would be very simple to up the rev limiter and take advantage of all your changes, including the breathing, the oil control and anything else you had done.

I don't see it as a big factor one way of the other. The serious Gen III engine builders generally chose to spend $6,000+ for a C5-R block - 7 liters of excitement.
                  Exactly! And if you want a 408+ CID engine, please consider spending the extra money and going with a 6.0 iron block or a C5R block as your basis. There have been sooooo many aluminum Gen III engines that have been sleeved going south on us. I wouldn't hold much faith in a sleeved aluminum motor. I'm being good and not mentioning any engine builders by name. I'm sure you can figure it out.

I have two buddies who both had sleeved motors and both had problems. Now they are both running C5R blocks with no problems whatsoever. Well, besides the fact that they are putting down over 800 RWHP and can't get it to hook. LOL
                  LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Like in Fred's link, the LS6 block has small windows at the base of the cylinder bores to help with windage and pump bleed off that can adversely affect oil flow and consistent oil pressure. The LS1 block does not have these. This does give the LS1 a stronger structural integrity, however the trade off is that the LS1 does not get the advantage of the extra horsepower POTENTIAL and oiling efficiency that the "windows" proivide the LS6 block. The LS6 block also has smaller oil galleys around the main bearings to help with crank journal lubrication. So, if you are focusing on building a small cube, short stroke, high spinning motor, then the LS6 block is the ticket.

So I would agree that for all intensive purposes, that there is no distinct advantage to either block. If the LS6 block was produced after September 2003, then the LS6 cam bearings are also bigger and on the later LS6 blocks, the head bolts were made to be all one length. On the later LS6 blocks the timing chain guide holes in the block are drilled and tapped.

If you are going for huge power, then the LS1 block is the one. The webbing is also supposedly stronger in the LS1 blocks.

It also appears that the LS6 blocks seem to have a problem with the CNC penetrating through to the water jackets when using the blocks for re-sleeved big bore setups. Then if an inexperienced builder does not see the breech in the bore, they will install the sleeves and the sleeves will temporarily seal the water jacket. Then of course once the motor is fired and warmed up the first time you will have a slight problem. The LS1 blocks do not have this problem when boring for new sleeves.

The LS6 block also weighs marginally less than it's brother LS1.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
                      Fred, that makes sense that he could squeeze out a little more power with the better oil control because it allows for higher rpms but wouldn't that be irrelevant with a stock f-body because the computer would have the same revlimiter whether its a ls1 or ls6 block?
                      People often overlook the benefits of oil control and more so windage control. It seems that alot of people on the internet seem to believe that just the differences in the LS6 block cannot help to make more power. I don't buy that...and neither do some other highly reputable local builders I know. Better windage control is better windage control. And better windage control frees up some HP....it's a proven fact. I truly believe that in the case of the LS6, the better oil control (thus less friction), coupled with the better windage control equates to more power. I suspect it would be reasonable to assume 5 maybe 10 more HP at the crank.

So you wouldn't neccesarily have to rev the snot out of it to see a power difference.

Comment

do they make after market windege trays for the ls1 for better everything.
                        and thanks i greatly approcited the info ls1 vs ls6
                        2000 trans am auto, Afr 205,tr 220/220 112, mti lid, 160t,umi sfc,hooker headers and ory y,loud mouth. bellow,pr's,harland rockers,new lifters,ls6 oilpump,rollermaster doubler roller, msd wires.

Comment

Thanks for the info I looked on my heads and have the # 241 havent had a chance to look at the block yet and oh yeah they 12.8 was with street tires (lowered to 14 psi) Being over here on German roads makes me want to do more suspention work than eng. work though I think being as my 02 Z28 is stock I think I will start out with sub-frame connectors

Comment

Originally posted by joe ws6
                            do they make after market windege trays for the ls1 for better everything.
                            and thanks i greatly approcited the info ls1 vs ls6
                            Of course. Most of the popular aftermarket oil pan manufacturers make stuff for the LS1. Canton, Moroso, Stef's, etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X