quick question on torque arm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question on torque arm

This morning i was backing out and noticed a thud that wasnt normal. I looked underneath and the torque arm bushing holders bolt came off. so the arm was up under the chassis bumping it. Could this have ruined the pinion seal, because a little bit of oil was on the torque arm back there?? Thanks guys
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

When the pinion angle gets messed up, the u-joints put an extra lateral load on the pinion, that isn't there when the pinion angle is correct. Its possible the extra load ruined the pinion seal.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for the info injuneer, know that I only drove it less than 5 miles before it fell off, and the pinion seal is only a week old so I dont think it failed.

However,
      it appears that the torque arm bushing clamp that mounts to the tranny is stripped. The bolt size is M10-1.5x30. My buddy at ford said they have all different size self tapping bolts. Will this be safe? I have used the new threading kits before but theres not enough room at the top of the clamp to do that.
      1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Working...
      X