Grrrrr, someone hit my car today.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrrrr, someone hit my car today.

this morning I ran into the mall to grab a new pair of pants for work and as I walked past the front of my car I noticed a huge scratch in the nose of my car about 8 inches in width and 10 inches long. It looked as if someone backed into it. What kind of person does this and walks off? This sucks even more cuz I have been trying to sell it.

Anyone have an estimate of what repair should cost? It is not dented but definitely scratched down to the fiberglass. I was so p!$$ed, but I know better than to park in the front row, but I was in a hurry.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

bummer...repair cost varies from shop to shop...but to sand it down, and new paint shouldn't be an arm and a leg. 500 tops.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I'd see if the mall had survelance cameras to start with and see if you could maybe get a tag #. If that fails I'd see if you can get a shop to let you do the prep work and just have them paint it. That shouldn't cost you more than 150-200 for just a scratch.
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Umm, Isn't the front bumper and fenders plastic?!? I'm pretty sure the only fiberglass on the car is the doors.
        Richard Harvey Jr.
        '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

I checked the mall and they do not have surveilance cameras on that side of the lot. Only by the theatre is where they have cameras cuz that is the mostly populated entrance. I am also not completely sure that is where it got hit, I just happened to notice it when I walked out.

It actually is plastic, I knew that just not sure why I put fiberglass. does the plastic prep the same as fiberglass or metal or is there anything different I need to do.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

It cost $252 to get my back bumper repainted. The other guys insurance paid for it.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by TruckMuddr
              Umm, Isn't the front bumper and fenders plastic?!? I'm pretty sure the only fiberglass on the car is the doors.
              theres no fiber glass on the f body...its plastic composite.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                what's the reinforcement in the composite? i'm surprised if it's not fiberglass (slightly off topic, i know...)
                1996 T/A - BBK headers & throttle body, K&N filter, 1.6:1 Comp Cams Pro Magnums, Warbird hood w/ SLP Ram-Air

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                  SMC

Sheet Molded Composite
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:
                  SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by RyanB58
                    does the plastic prep the same as fiberglass or metal or is there anything different I need to do.
                    No it does not prep the same.

It requires special filler and repair material as well and unique flex-agent added to the paint.
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:
                    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Well, now that I have got to look at it better it does not look too bad. most of it will buff out I think and I will only have a very slight scratch, not noticable by more that 5 feet away or so. I am gonna see what I can do this weekend and go from there. Thanks for the insight guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X