Timing Gears Instead of Timing Chain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Gears Instead of Timing Chain?

I'm considering getting those timing-gear sets instead of a timing-chain. Anyone ever use the gears? Any good or bad experiences?
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

There was a guy who used to post here named Dave Wendland. His car is long gone, but he still has his website with a lot of his projects..... one of his best is a T-top conversion.

But he also installed a Pete Jackson "Silent" gear drive. Kept it for about a year and pulled it off, because he could not stand the noise. The knock sensor also will not function because of the noise and needs to be programmed out.

He had to machine the stock LT1 timing cover to clear the gears. You need an electric water pump because there is no water pump drive gear on the aftermarket sets. I'm not sure how the Opti responds to the "noise".... Dave was running an Electromotive Opti-Eliminator at the time.

There are supposed to be quieter sets available.

Just curious... why do you feel its needed? People have had good results with the LT4 Extreme Duty timing set, others have converted to a Cloyes double roller.

Go here:

http://www.dw-zone.com/

Click on "My 1994 Firebird Formula" and look at the comments for years 1999 (installed) and 2000 (removed and used the Cloyes).
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I would also question the use of a gear drive timing setup. They are extremely annoying. Sounds like the motor is ing for help. The Cloyes double roller is inexpensive and a good timing set. But, like Fred mentioned it requires the use of an electric WP. If you want to get serious, use a belt setup. The CC belts are very good.

Comment

On a 96 & later, he would have to do some grinding to get a Cloyes double roller in there.

I've been wondering if anybody fitted a belt on a LT1 - Has it been done? If it's the same diemnsionally as a Cloyes double roller, then there's no reason it wouldn't work. I need one, that's why I'm asking. Kev - do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
          Just curious... why do you feel its needed?
          I'm just looking for something that will last a long time. I could also get a regular timing set that's really well-made (no autozone poo-parts).....
          Darrin C
          '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
          07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
            On a 96 & later, he would have to do some grinding to get a Cloyes double roller in there.

I've been wondering if anybody fitted a belt on a LT1 - Has it been done? If it's the same diemnsionally as a Cloyes double roller, then there's no reason it wouldn't work. I need one, that's why I'm asking. Kev - do you know?
            Honestly, I don't know ay that has run a belt on an LT1 personally (an LS1 yes). I know Combination Motorsports has installed a few but I'm not sure on the specifics. Just by the looks of it, the CC Magnum 5100 belt set looks to be a fairly straightforward install. Maybe a little grinding to the cover and/or block. Now the Hi-Tech belt setup by CC is a different animal altogether. The tensioner that is included in that set has a large bracket that would require quite a bit of machining to the block and cover. And probably some fabbed oil galley plugs.

Here is the Magnum 5100:

Comment

Looks like it's adjustable for timing, Wonder what keeps the belt from walking? Maybe I'll give them a call and get some specifics. Thanks.

Comment

So, as far as the timing gears go, I don't think anyone knows how long they last because they're so loud and irritating, everyone yanks them out as quickly as they put them in!! Scratch that off my list! . . . Would the timing belt set up last longer than a chain?
                Darrin C

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
                  So, as far as the timing gears go, I don't think anyone knows how long they last because they're so loud and irritating, everyone yanks them out as quickly as they put them in!! Scratch that off my list! . . . Would the timing belt set up last longer than a chain?
                  Well the durability just all depends on how the motor is used and the power it makes. Generally speaking they should last just as long as a Hypoid chain or aftermarket roller.

However, the true benefits of the belts are the inhibition of the transfer of crankshaft harmonics throughout the valvetrain and they take much less power to turn. In turn, your valvetrain will be much more accurate and depenable and you will free up some power.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                    Looks like it's adjustable for timing, Wonder what keeps the belt from walking? Maybe I'll give them a call and get some specifics. Thanks.
                    On factory belts, the sprockets have opposing "lips" that keep the belt from walking. I'm not honestly sure how this Magnum setup keeps the belt from walking. I believe on the "Hi-Tech" setup, the tensioner serves this function, but it is over a grand for that setup.

Comment

Working...
                    X