converting sbc heads to reverse flow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting sbc heads to reverse flow

How do you convert sbc heads to reverse flow and how much would it cost. I have heard that you can get aftermarket sbc heads to flow great.

It wouldn't be worth it imho. With some port/polish work on your stock heads, you can see a substantial gains.
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Comment

Some of the coolant holes get welded up, others get drilled out - so the passages in the head and block match. After doing that, they need to be planed. With the heads, you will also need a matching intake manifold, or you will have to have your LT1 intake modified to match the bolt pattern, bolt angle and to add the cooling nipples to match the flow from the heads. You would need to alter the coolant hoses to add those connections in. The Gen 1 SBC heads generally start with a 64cc combustion chamber, and that's way too large for an LT1 application, unless you are looking for 9.0:1 or less for a blower setup.

Depends on what you are looking for. There are people porting stock LT1 castings close to 300CFM, and well over 300CFM for the LT4 castings and the new Trick Flow LT1 heads. Then there is a variety of AFR large volume runner heads. Maybe if you were looking for something closer to 400CFM a set of SBC2.2's would be worth converting.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

You can do a search on cz28.com for the conversion. A member named N20Dave (or something like that) converted a set of raced used SBC2.2 Petty heads that flowed around 380 cfm. I'm not quite sure on the cost of the conversion, but you can probably PM him. I would think the cost would be the same for converting 2.2 or regular sbc heads, but I could be wrong.

Also, I saw somewhere else that Gibbs heads flow over 400 cfm...but I don't know if that info is useful in your application.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
        X