Tire Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Question

I have Bridgestone Potenza tires on my Legacy. They are specifically noted in the owner's manual as a "summer tire".

Exactly how bad are these things going to be during the winter when there are 6+ inches of snow on the roads? I have symmetrical AWD, but I'm figuring that isn't going to do me a lot of good when all four wheels have no traction.

The tires are size 215/30(or 35)/R18. The problem is the guy at Discount Tire told me there was no real good choice for an all-season tire in that size, and I would need to go with tires and rims down to 16's... YUCK! I already cruise on the highway at 3100 RPMs... if I go down to 16's, I'll be at like 3400, and that's just not an option.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

The tire rack shows N/A for snow. 215/35WR18
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0
    They show no winter only tires in that size.
    They show 4 "Ultra High Performance All-Season"
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=All&x=45&y=11
    They show no other "all season" tires for that size.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
      .... The problem is the guy at Discount Tire told me there was no real good choice for an all-season tire in that size, and I would need to go with tires and rims down to 16's... YUCK! I already cruise on the highway at 3100 RPMs... if I go down to 16's, I'll be at like 3400, and that's just not an option.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
      Why would going from 18" wheels to 16" wheels change your cruise RPM? You just need to select the correct tire diameter, to match what you have now. If you're running a 215/35-18, you would look for a 205/50-16.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        Why would going from 18" wheels to 16" wheels change your cruise RPM? You just need to select the correct tire diameter, to match what you have now. If you're running a 215/35-18, you would look for a 205/50-16.
        Right, I understand that... I forgot to mention that I asked that question specifically, and we talked about heights of the tire, etc... it came out that the wheel/tire combination he recommended was indeed much smaller than what I currently have. It would have changed the crusie RPM.
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

get some spare rims, if you want an excelent all season wet, dry, snow, ice traction tire, the Michelin Cross Terrain is awesome.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I can't really recommend a tire but I can tell you that you will need a winter/all-season tire. Two co-workers of mine have an STi and an Evo, both AWD cars and they both say traction in the winter is xistant with their summer tires.
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

I was wrong about the stock tire size - it's 215/45/18

But, a 215/35/18 will work... any idea how much this is going to change my RPMs at cruising speed? Should I re-calibrate my speedo?

What fraction of a 215/45/18 is a 215/35/18 in circumference?

Comment

Jay,

It takes a big man to admit he's wrong. LOL

I would think your car would do fine being AWD. However, some on here have talked from experience.
                LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

jay a 215/55R16 tire would be about the same hight maybe be off a 1/4 inch. look up on tire-rack they have a chart
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Yeah Norm, with the first snow, I learned there is no way I would make it through the winter with the summer tires... braking was non-existent and acceleration was suspect as well...

I got the 215/35/18s installed today... the guy told me it will be too small of a change in circumference to produce any noticeable difference in cruise speed/RPMs... is that right?

Comment

whyd u go with a smaller tire? the sidewall is now narrower i prob woulda done a 205/60R16 tire, same high and a lil bit more narrrower so u dont ride the snow

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                        whyd u go with a smaller tire? the sidewall is now narrower i prob woulda done a 205/60R16 tire, same high and a lil bit more narrrower so u dont ride the snow
                        Because then I would have had to buy new rims as well.

Comment

Bone yards are u friend. did subbie use same pattern for all the cars? i kno when i got 2 spare rims for my frist car(93 taraus) it only cost me 25$ for both of em from the tire shop

Comment

Can someone please help with the question about the speedo?

I'm not very familiar with tires at all...

As I understand it, the first number (215) is the width of the tire in millimeters, then the second number (35) is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width of the tread. So, a 215/35 would have a sidewall 10% shorter than a 215/45.

So each sidewall is 21.5 millimeters shorter - or 2.15 centimeters, meaning the whole circumference of the tire is 4.3 centimeters shorter.

The 18" wheel is 45.72 centimeters... the stock tire would have a sidewall height of (215 * 45%=) 96.75 millimeters - or 9.675 centimeters (seems really high)... Multiplied by 2 is 19.35 cm. Add this to the diameter of the wheel gives a total diameter of 99.72 cm.

If the total diameter of the wheel was 99.72 cm, and it's now 4.3 cm shorter, then that is a 4.3121% change so my speedo would be off by that much... so if I was driving along at 70 mph, my speedo would be off by slightly over 3 mph... if my speedo reads 70s, I'm actually only doing about 67.

Guys like Fred, Joe, Kevin, wolfman... how'd I do? Is that math anywhere near accurate?

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                              Bone yards are u friend. did subbie use same pattern for all the cars? i kno when i got 2 spare rims for my frist car(93 taraus) it only cost me 25$ for both of em from the tire shop
                              I had no interest in buying new rims - especially not ones from a junkyard. Not to mention how much the handling characteristics would be effected by such a large sidewall... as it is right now, my car carves turns like a Thanksgiving turkey - I'd prefer to retain as much of that as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X