Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I bid on this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97...QQcmdZViewItem

Seems too good to be true. Painted bright red, just like my car is, same year as my car (not that year matters, since it's also an LT1). I'm not too familiar with Ebay, so help and input is appreciated.
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Originally posted by Nightrage
    Seems too good to be true.
    What do you mean?
    There is a reserve, so even if no one else bids you won't get it for $100, that's just the starting bid...Keep in mind that paint cracks (if that's all it really is) usually get bigger over time (dirt and water get under the paint) and are usually a sign of poor prep work, so at some point you will have to have it repaired/repainted...Depending on the resevre price it could be cheaper to buy a new or unfinished used hood and paint it.

What is this hood worth to you? How difficult for you to go get it, he says he won't ship. Watch the auction until the last day and see how high the bids are going...

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
    '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
    Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

He says- "This is an expensive hood, get yourself a great deal and bid to win" so I can't imagine his reserve being too high, especially with that crack. I hope anyways. My dad recently broke up with his girlfriend, who's father happens to own a body shop. I kept in touch with her, so I don't think he'd mind me bringing that hood to him. I could drag my pops with me to New Jersey. It's only a few hours away. I've been dying to take a mini vacation from Long Island and it's been months since I've seen my dad. I'd kill two birds with one stone. To buy the hood brand new and have it painted would probably run upwards of $800.

Thanks for the help
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by bru333
        What do you mean?
        There is a reserve, so even if no one else bids you won't get it for $100, that's just the starting bid...Keep in mind that paint cracks (if that's all it really is) usually get bigger over time (dirt and water get under the paint) and are usually a sign of poor prep work, so at some point you will have to have it repaired/repainted...Depending on the resevre price it could be cheaper to buy a new or unfinished used hood and paint it.

What is this hood worth to you? How difficult for you to go get it, he says he won't ship. Watch the auction until the last day and see how high the bids are going...
        Good advice.

Comment

I'm no paint expert, but in addition to what's been said...
          considering this hood is used, and your car is 10 years old, wouldn't be luck if the shade/tone of red happen to match the fenders and bumper? I'm not quite sure if and how paint fades over time due to UV ray exposure...but your car looks really clean, and this hood may not be. Just a thought.
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
            I'm no paint expert, but in addition to what's been said...
            considering this hood is used, and your car is 10 years old, wouldn't be luck if the shade/tone of red happen to match the fenders and bumper? I'm not quite sure if and how paint fades over time due to UV ray exposure...but your car looks really clean, and this hood may not be. Just a thought.
            Good point.

FYI here's what a "small crack" in the paint can turn into. All those other small white lines are cracks that have shown up in the last year.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
            '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
            Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Nightrage . . .This hood is for "pickup only." That's why no one's bidding on it. If you can pick it up in NJ . . . . hell yeah! Bid on that thing at the last minute and take it home!!!
              Darrin C
              '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
              07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

I can pick it up. I'm guessing it won't fit in my T/A lol I can probably use my dad's van. The paint is no biggie. Firebreath's been hankering for a respray anyhow. Maybe I can get a deal though my dad's ex. The hood I have on there now has a few scratches and it's covered in water marks. I have a minor dent in the passenger quarter panel and a massive scrape by the passenger door that I've been meaning to get fixed. It wouldn't matter to me if it didn't match up perfectly at first. Down the line it will. Thanks for the advice fellas
                SOLD- Kinda miss it
                SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Heck yes, bid away, ...
                  And simply pick it up if you're nearby.
                  Easy, cheap upgrade.
                  I also agree with what's been said above.
                  You'll have to bid an amount you are comfortable with. If it meets reserve, great. If not, the seller may resort to contacting you to see if you're interested anyway.
                  You can probably protect the crack in some way or another so it doesn't get progressively worse too quickly.
                  Be careful with your hood shocks tho, you may very well need some with less capacity when switching to a fiberglass hood from the steel hood. The heavy/strong stock springs could create more problems on a lightweight hood.

Good Luck!
                  1) 2001 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary Firehawk
                  2) 2005 Pontiac Bonneville GXP
                  3) 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTII
                  4) 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
                  5) 1996 Chevrolet Blazer
                  6) 1993 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Softail Springer

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                    I can pick it up. I'm guessing it won't fit in my T/A lol I can probably use my dad's van.

I fit a US Exotics Warbird hood in a Hyundai Accent hatchback I made sure my stocker fit in there before driving to pick up the new one, though. I'd recommend doing the same rather than estimating, especially if you've got a long drive for pickup.
                    1996 T/A - BBK headers & throttle body, K&N filter, 1.6:1 Comp Cams Pro Magnums, Warbird hood w/ SLP Ram-Air

Comment

My grandma just told me that she's giving me $400 for Christmas. I think I should worry about headers before exterior modifications. I'd rather spend $1000 on headers and gain performance rather than spend who knows how much to shed 10 lbs and look slightly better.
                      SOLD- Kinda miss it
                      SOLD- Good riddance!

Comment

Working...
                      X