Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New carb secondary not opening

I just bought a new 600cfm Edelbrock performer carb w/ elec
    choke (#1400) I belive it has vacum a secondary.
    It idles great but when I am cruisin and then punch it WOT it does not sound like the secondaies are opening. With the car off at WOT the seconadaries did not open. Is there another way to test them? Is the some type of adjustment or some thing I need to check or try?

1968 firebird
    stock 350 with a automatic trans

Thankyou
    Brian
    2 firebirds are better the 1.

If you goose it while iding do they open?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I have never seen a vacuum secondary carb open the secondaries by just operating the throttle while running. I used the lightest spring on my Mustang on a Holley carb and it wouldn't do it. I used the second lightest spring on a Holley 780 on my non stock 340 and it wouldn't do it. Neither would the 6 pack that was on it.
      http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...erformer.shtml

"50-state street legal for all 1980 and earlier General Motors V8s (E.O. #D-215-10). Calibrated for maximum fuel economy. Includes timed vacuum ports, EGR and fuel vapor outlet."
      Note it says "maximum fuel economy". You can bet they have a pretty heavy spring in the secondaries to try and get better fuel mileage.
      They have tuning accessories here. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...hun_perf.shtml
      You should get this "Step-Up Spring Assortment (5 pair) #1464* Includes 3" Hg (blue), 4" Hg (yellow), 5" Hg (orange), 7" Hg (pink) and 8" Hg (plain) springs." Part number #1464. The lighter the spring the sooner they will open.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

TraceZ: When I goose it it does not open.

Jeff : It must be super maximum fuel econoy if it does not open. I will order the spring kit #1464 and let you know.

Thanks
        Brian
        2 firebirds are better the 1.

Comment

Originally posted by 2firebirds
          TraceZ: When I goose it it does not open.

Jeff : It must be super maximum fuel econoy if it does not open. I will order the spring kit #1464 and let you know.

Thanks
          Brian
          Well I had mine set up for super maximum fuel usage and it did not open.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

I could be wrong about this cause it was a long time ago when I worked on carbueretors (and edelbrocks weren't invented yet), but I believe they work off ported vacuum and when the car is under a heavy load and swallowing a lot of air thru the carb, then it gets enough signal to open the secondaries. And when they open, you don't want to 'notice' them opening per se' - you want it to be a smooth transition as the engine needs more fuel & air. You may have some adjustment in the linkage, too, as well as the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
              I could be wrong about this cause it was a long time ago when I worked on carbueretors (and edelbrocks weren't invented yet), but I believe they work off ported vacuum and when the car is under a heavy load and swallowing a lot of air thru the carb, then it gets enough signal to open the secondaries. And when they open, you don't want to 'notice' them opening per se' - you want it to be a smooth transition as the engine needs more fuel & air. You may have some adjustment in the linkage, too, as well as the spring.
              Edelbrock bought Carter. Most of Edelborcks are old designs from the Carter days like the AFB and AVS. They were mostly used on Mopar stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                Edelbrock bought Carter. Most of Edelborcks are old designs from the Carter days like the AFB and AVS. They were mostly used on Mopar stuff.
                Yup, the Edelbrock Performer is basically a Carter AFB.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                X