another f-body rear end problem please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another f-body rear end problem please help

Ive been getting a bad noise from my rear end in my 2000 trans am with posi. 3.42 gears. its all stock ive been wanting to replace with a moser 12 bolt but are currently broke. The yoke has alot of play in it. I mean i can move it around and fluid leaks out. I was woundering what you guys think the problem could be inside or is it just a worn bushing or something.
    cost to repair?
    Difficlulty to do myself?
    2000 trans am auto, Afr 205,tr 220/220 112, mti lid, 160t,umi sfc,hooker headers and ory y,loud mouth. bellow,pr's,harland rockers,new lifters,ls6 oilpump,rollermaster doubler roller, msd wires.

Can you tell us a little more about what the noise sounds like?

My rear end was stock and had about 130K miles when it went out. I heard a constant groaning noise when the car was in motion. Turned out to be the carrier bearing. The bearing shredded itself, sending shrapnel throughout the entire differential. The damage spread quickly and in a short period of time, I needed all new bearings and two new axles at a cost of about $850 parts & labor. So, jump right on it!

I usually do all my own work, but I heard that a rear end rebuild can be a tough job with special tools - that's why I took it in...
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

It only makes the noise when in gear with cluth engaged when decelarating. when acc or cruising. also a littel vibration on high way. the yoke has a bit more play then i think it should have. I think that may be the problem. the extrea play lets a bit of fluid out, more then it should. The car only has 55k on it but i push her to her limits often. hard to explain what it sounds like but its loud and apperent.
      2000 trans am auto, Afr 205,tr 220/220 112, mti lid, 160t,umi sfc,hooker headers and ory y,loud mouth. bellow,pr's,harland rockers,new lifters,ls6 oilpump,rollermaster doubler roller, msd wires.

Comment

Some play is normal but the leak is not.

Fix the pinion seal as soon as possible. When the fluid leaks, the fluid level drops and fails to lubricate the pinion bearing. This causes excessive wear on the pinion bearing which can be contributing to the noise you're hearing and the extra play. If the bearing goes out completely, you can ruin your rear-end - so jump on it.....

The vibration may also be your drive shaft. If it's way out of balance, it can cause damage to the rear end, cause noise and vibration as well.

hope this helps.....
        Darrin C
        '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
        07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

thanks im getting ready to drop the axle this weekend

Comment

Working...
          X