'96 into '94

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '96 into '94

I'm looking to swap a complete '96 LT-1 into my '94 z-28. What connection problems should I be looking for? Fuel lines? Opti-connector? Fuel injectors? Anything that will bite me?

Thanx!
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Holy Ba-jeezus!!....I was wondering why you were going to do that till I saw you sig!
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

The motor should swap without a problem, but the ECM is different, and the wiring harness may be different.

The opti is different too. You will need an opti conversion.
      99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
      93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

If he changes the harness will he need an opti conversion to use the 96 opti?

Comment

Ja, its got a few miles on the original motor, a ticking sound that comes and stays for a few thousand miles...then goes away. Major problem is the "Centerforce" clutch with 65k is slipping, and the opti is acting up again, it made 30k after cleaning and changing to vented.

It's got 235k since I bought it in '94, I'll change out the engine complete since I need the car as a dailey driver, then I can build the original for more umph.

I'll be using the '94 wiring harness and pcm.

Anybody using the Spec stage 4? Is it still drivable? Its only $16 more than the stage 3.
          The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

You should be OK then. If you are going to just swap in the motor you should be OK with the 94 ECM and harness, and it sounds like you already did the Opti conv. so you are OK there too.
            99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
            93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

I have not heard anything on the stage 4. You dont need it though. I am running a stage 3 and its a great clutch. I am running over 500 hp at the crank and it doesnt slip a bit. It is, however, right on that line of streetable/ not streetable. Its work to drive it; its on or off, thats it, no slipping the clutch in. I would think the stage 4 would be overkill for the street and very annoying, but if you go with it, let me know how it is.
              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
              X