T5 transmission swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T5 transmission swap

Hi, my 85 iroc's 700r4 blew and i was looking to replace it with a t5 transmission. I found one on ebay that was out of a 1989 v6 s10 but my camaro is a v8 and i was wondering if i had to do any mods and if so then what would i have to do? Or would i be better off just getting another 700r4. Thanx

I don't think that T5 will be strong enough. I looked at a bunch of tranny's back when I was building a 4x4 and had that one in mind. That was behind a 4.3L Vortec and after talking to some guys on the 4.3L forums, they all agreed that it was a minimal tranny at best. There are stronger T5's but they are typically found behind Mustang's and won't work in our case. Try looking into the NV3500 tranny's found in the later model 4.3L's. There is even a unit that came in the Chevy K-1500 4x4 4.3L pickups that had a more sought after 4.01 first gear. I think it was a MG5 code tranny as the other one's are M50 and M51. They are cheap as well so you won't be shelling out the big $$$ needed for a T56. Although, I don't know if that first gear may be too tall for you. Look into this site if you need codes and gear ratios

Transmission info with gear ratios and codes

Cheers,
    Steve
    SOLD: 1993 M6 Trans Am, black with ZR1 rims, Borla cat-back, Random Tech cat, SLP headers and Y, Morosso CAI

Comment

i think the input shaft is different and that the bellhosuing for sure will be different. thirdgen.org and do a search
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Thanx for the help. I havn't been able to find any m50 m51 mg5 nv3500 transmissions for sale. If you could tell me where to look or tell me about some other transmissions that would fit it. Would a 4 speed saganaw work? Your reply would be appreciated.
        Thanx,
        Elliott

Comment

on a thirdgen, if u have the money get a t-56 tranny and do that swap, it holds more power, has an extra gear(its a 5spd). spohn has parts for the swap. www.spohn.net ebay is loaded up with trannys, check thirdgen.org if u want the 5spd
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
          X