Another Infamous Opti-Spark Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Infamous Opti-Spark Thread

Okay i have the msd cap & rotor , waterpump , is there anything else that i should replace since im right there right now my car is down at my uncles garage due to the fact we couldn't find any t15 female sockets at any of the local shops but i read from frank that u can use one of the top screws off the throttle body as a socket for them and its actually called an te-4 ?
    1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

New Longblock at 110,947 and everything above.

I would take the opti spark off and clean it. Take it apart, you will find an optical reader inside (Mitsubishi electronics), clean the dust out of it completely. Check the two vacum lines and the filter, make sure they are clear. Reassemble.

Since you have the water pump off, I would spend the $60 to $70 and buy another one. I guess you can get a official GM one for $125.

I drill out the weep hole on the pump and install a 3/16" 90 deg. vacum ell, attach a couple of feet of 3/16" hose and route over to the steering rack with wire ties. When it leaks, the coolant will come out at a noticeable spot, and not on top of the opti.

I thought the MSD cap and rotor were only a rumor, so you really have them?
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

thank you for the response will do tommorow

im not sure now i dont know why i typed msd i think i was reading an article at the same time

the waterpump is the gmpartsdirect one
      and the cap and rotor are whatever the local store could come up with for 100 bucks

and yes there are a msd cap and rotor
      http://www.pitstopautoparts.com/perf...ped_brand=true
      1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

Comment

The picture has been around..........but has anyone actually bought one?
        The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Summit catalog option

Supposedly Summit has a replacement cap now.

Here I have the Summit catalog published as effective onlythrough december 31, 2005, page 290 on TPI/LT1/LS1 section:

"Summit LT1 cap and rotor Kit:

One of these Summit cap and rotor kits for LT1 keeps your tuning budget friendlyand you get an all-new quality piece. The cap housing is injection molded from premium alkyd material for extreme strength and high dielectric properties. The terminal paths are encased in a tough epoxy compound for added durability.

SUM-G5240 LT-1, 1993-1994..........$124.95
          SUM-G5241 LT-1, 1995-1997..........$124.95 "

They also show a complete GM performance parts OptiSpark for ´92-´94 for $389.95 and the ´95-´97 for $289.95

Ph: 1-800-230-3030

http:www.summitracing.com

I put this for anybody in trouble and please feed back to the forum to have a knowledge about your experience.

Thank you.

Regards.
          1997 z28 ex Pony Express racer ( amateur rally and track day car now ) w/ 383 LT1, V1-T s/c, Victor Jr. heads, Engle custom cam, Accel DFI, Alcon 14" / Baer 13" brakes, Strange rr. axle. Full roll cage, seats and belts.

´71 Camaro L-48 ex-vintage track day racer clone, ´71 AMC Javelin, ´69 Plymouth Barracuda 340 clone, ´70 Barracuda project car, ´69 Shelby Mustang GT350 project car, ´94 Mustang GT s/c track day car.

Self portrait: Nowadays more a collector than a racer . Still crazy for those Trans-Am races.

Comment

It went rather smoothly only problem being finding that infamous torque socket e4

but then i looked at an older post to find that u can use a t-15 out of the throttle body as a socket and that worked quite well got everything abck together to find out the battery had died so recharged and started up fine ......

except . it smokes the tires to much

actually there is an exemption at some point through my guess is something got bumped and my tranny is now leaking tranny fluid

i tore down the pan and replaced gasket and loaded up with fluid

gasket was ripped but replaced now and it is Still leaking

the only leak i see is what appears to be coming from the front of the gasket and dripping down onto the pan that trancsends in front of it (A4) i guess its the torque convertor pan ?

any ideas of where this tranny fluid leak could be coming from

im hoping to get around to it this weekend and put it on jacks and pull down other stuff but cant figure it out.
            if exams dont take me down i really hope to get it fixed this weekend.

Comment

MSD optispark cap & rotor

Today I got a 2005 MSD catalog and on page 91 under distributor caps I found the MSD GM LT-1 Distributor Cap/Rotor.

´93-´94.....PN8481
              ´95-´97.....PN84811

It is advertised as a new item.

"The all new cap housing is injection molded from a special Dupont material that provides extreme strength and high dielectric properties resulting in less chance of breakdown causing a misfire. The terminal paths are encased in a durable epoxy compound for even more protection. The rotor is also a new model piece with a new brass/stainless rotor tip design."

http://www.summitracing.com

Summit part No....MSD-84811

"Tomorrow" price...$150.88

Lordvader.
              1997 z28 ex Pony Express racer ( amateur rally and track day car now ) w/ 383 LT1, V1-T s/c, Victor Jr. heads, Engle custom cam, Accel DFI, Alcon 14" / Baer 13" brakes, Strange rr. axle. Full roll cage, seats and belts.

´71 Camaro L-48 ex-vintage track day racer clone, ´71 AMC Javelin, ´69 Plymouth Barracuda 340 clone, ´70 Barracuda project car, ´69 Shelby Mustang GT350 project car, ´94 Mustang GT s/c track day car.

Self portrait: Nowadays more a collector than a racer . Still crazy for those Trans-Am races.

Comment

Working...
              X