Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold natured 98 LS1?????

Hello...
    I was wondering if anyone can help me with this...when it is cold out my 98 z28 takes for ever to get running right. The idle fluctuates so viloently that the car will die. After it warms up, it is fine or if the temp. outside is 40 or warmer the car runs great. I have had several lt1 cars and have never experienced anything like this (my 1st ls1 car). Any suggestions on the problem...Thanx, Tom
    Tom Rawlinson
    1998 Z28
    94k and counting...

Sorry, but I can't be much help . . .

I have never experienced that problem with my '98 TA. What I do experience in cold weather (along with many others, apparently) is for the trip odometer to reset itself to zero. Irritating, but does not affect performance.

What, if any, modifications have been done to the car?
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger in Kensington

What, if any, modifications have been done to the car?
      As far as I know, the only mod is a flowmaster muffler...there possibly is some ecm mods, but I'm not sure. I bought it used and have driven it maybe 1000 miles since early Sept.
      Tom Rawlinson
      1998 Z28
      94k and counting...

Comment

If there was some PCM/ECM changes, maybe the idle settings were changed around for different temps. Maybe find someone to plug a scanner into it when you start it up.
        1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

That would be the best place to start, have it scanned. Cuz I was thinking it could be a vaccum leak but with it being fine at warmer temps it doesnt fit. So try getting it scanned, im not real sure what it could be but thatll get you pointed in the right direction.
          -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Thanx for the suggestion folks...I'll try to do that...I never though of that since I never seen any check engine light....
            Tom Rawlinson
            1998 Z28
            94k and counting...

Comment

phastls1-I'm pretty sure the LS1 uses the coolant temperature sensor to decide the A\F ratio until the car hits closed loop and the oxgyen sensors are used. I'd see if that may be causing your problem.

Roger in Kensington-There is a TSB out for LS1's having the trip reset. My brother had this happen to his 99 Z28 you can fix it by replacing the instrument cluster but that is expensive just to have a working tripometer in the cold.
              1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Well, as the car has only 28,000 miles on it and . . .

Originally posted by 94 formula
                Roger in Kensington-There is a TSB out for LS1's having the trip reset. My brother had this happen to his 99 Z28 you can fix it by replacing the instrument cluster but that is expensive just to have a working tripometer in the cold.
                . . . I don't drive it much in the winter anyway, I think I'll just live with the problem. It's a very minor irritant.
                R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

i had a 90 ws6 formula that started throwing a fit when i started it, horrible idle, shed die, smoke out the rear, just a bit. turned out my thermostat was bad. it was reading 40* below 0.

PCM for Less tuned PCM, LT4 heads & intake, SLP headers, 1.6 RR's, SLP strut tower brace, air foil, throttle body bypass, oil cooler, 160* thermo, 3200 stall converter, manual fan switch, line lock, tranny cooler, exhaust cut outs, zexel torsion carrier w/3:73 gears, Magnaflow exhaust, Q-Logic Custom Dual 12" Sub Box, custom drk metallic blue decals, etc
                  www.WS6Racing.com

Comment

I think I'll try the coolant temp sensor...It's only around $20 so that's not too bad. And with the miles on the car, couldn't hurt to replace it anyways...thermostat was replaced shortly before I bought the car so I don't think that's it...I did see a sale ad today for advance autoparts and they have an OBD 2 scanner on sale for $99 (described as extremly user friendly), so if all else fails I'm gonna grab one of those as well
                    Tom Rawlinson
                    1998 Z28
                    94k and counting...

Comment

Originally posted by phastls1
                      I think I'll try the coolant temp sensor...It's only around $20 so that's not too bad. And with the miles on the car, couldn't hurt to replace it anyways...thermostat was replaced shortly before I bought the car so I don't think that's it...I did see a sale ad today for advance autoparts and they have an OBD 2 scanner on sale for $99 (described as extremly user friendly), so if all else fails I'm gonna grab one of those as well
                      I'm not sure if its the same on the LS1's but on LT1's there are two different sensors, one that tells the computer the temperature and one that goes to the guage. Make sure if thats how it is on the LS1 to replace the sensor that tells the computer the temp.
                      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by brynnda
                        i had a 90 ws6 formula that started throwing a fit when i started it, horrible idle, shed die, smoke out the rear, just a bit. turned out my thermostat was bad. it was reading 40* below 0.
                        A reading of 40degF below 0 is symptomatic of a failed coolant temperature sensor, or an open sensor circuit. A failed t'stat would not cause the coolant temp sensor to read -40degF. The PCM has no way to know the t'stat has failed, at least until the engine operheats.
                        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                        X