How to tell if header gasket leaks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell if header gasket leaks?

My car runs and drives fine, however after the header install when i give it gas it has a ticking sound that sounds like an exhaust leak. We used those paper gaskets, how can I tell if they are leaking or if its a plug leaking?
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

From what i hear those paper gaskets are no good, that ticking sound definately could indicate a header gasket leak i had one on my car nad thats exactly what it sounded like. Do a search here for some good gaskets there was just a thread about them recently.
    -Dan

1986 350 TPI Trans Am, 700R-4, Flowmaster exhaust, CAI, 180* t/stat, low temp fan switch, SFC's....Sold.

Project Status: LT1 disassembled, researching costs, searching for project car.

Comment

Originally posted by blackthunder50
      My car runs and drives fine, however after the header install when i give it gas it has a ticking sound that sounds like an exhaust leak. We used those paper gaskets, how can I tell if they are leaking or if its a plug leaking?
      Headers definetly have a different sound to them than stock but a ticking sound especially one that increases with RPM points to a leaking gasket. I used the paper gaskets when I installed my pacesetters and they didn't stay on for a week. I had the ticking sound you are descibing and when I removed the gasket you could see 2 areas they were leaking on the drivers side and 1 on the passenger. I replaced them with felpro and they worked fine, I used them again when I swapped my headers onto my new engine. I would recommend the felpros but from what I've read on here you can't go wrong with Percys dead soft aluminum.
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Some good info on gaskets here:

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...015#post102015

Comment

Working...
        X