Prestone coolant - ok to use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prestone coolant - ok to use?

Is it ok to use the Prestone 50/50 mixed coolant in a dex coolant car? The prestone stuff says that it's compatible with any car, coolant cool, etc. It says it works with any car, foreign or domestic. What do you all think ? Would it be ok to put this in the resovoir tank instead of the dex cool?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    One SWEET 02 GAGT w/ tons of mods!

i think it shell who makes a coolant that is used my aftermarket shops, i kno i used it on my 88 bird(dont ask y the coolant went from regular to dex-crude). if u want i can check and make sure, i got a couple gallons in my garage
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Let me put it this way . . .

. . . years ago, I had the Dex-Cool drained and completely flushed out of my cooling system, then replaced it with a 50/50 mixture of Prestone. I have the system drained and flushed every two years.

The new Prestone says it is compatible with Dex-Cool; I have no reason to doubt it. But I'm still going to drain and flush my system every two years.

Cheap insurance. Like changing oil regularly even if I'm using Mobil 1 (and I do).
      R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff02GAGT
        Is it ok to use the Prestone 50/50 mixed coolant in a dex coolant car? The prestone stuff says that it's compatible with any car, coolant cool, etc. It says it works with any car, foreign or domestic. What do you all think ? Would it be ok to put this in the resovoir tank instead of the dex cool?

Thanks,
        Jeff
        Don't see why not. I bought some today, myself. Now I don't have to keep two types of coolant for my different cars.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Working...
        X