Time for a new clutch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a new clutch?

Well it's winter in chicago agian, and im starting to notice some stuff with my car that is getting under my skin. its a 97 camaro 3.8L V6 Y87 5 speed. Ive noticed that when the RPM band gets lower in any particualr gear the car hesitates, or "skips", like i hit a small bump on the road, but it seems to happen in equal intervals of time. And if i let the RPM go low (in 1st and 2nd gear particularly, but 2nd mostly) around 1000 when i accelerate the car shakes and almost hops. When this happens i have to apply pressure to the clutch pedal and bring the RPM's up. When i bought the car i think the prev owner said he got a new clutch put in around 65K, the car now has 101K. I also learned how to drive stick in this car... so i probably didnt do any justice to the clutch in the first place.
    1994 formula A4 w/ 84,XXX MI, bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs

I haven't driven a V6 5-speed before, but I think when you're at 1k RPM's than it's time to downshift. Your car may not have enough torque that low in the rpm band to overcome the resistance at the gear you're in.

If the clutch was slipping the RPM's would be increasing faster than you're car accelerates. My car has 72,000 miles on it and is on the original clutch. It's also the same car I used to learn to drive stick.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

well i talked to the previous owner, and the clutch only has 20k on it.... and he said he bought the heavy duty clutch... so maybe its the fact that it is only a v-6 and my car is starting to freeze in the cold... I do have one more question however. I thought it may be a good idea to drain the tranny fluid and put fresh in, however a few people told me that since my car has 100k on it i should just leave the fluid alone. Is it true that i should just leave it alone because the car's tranny has become "accustom" to the current situation, or am i being mislead?
      1994 formula A4 w/ 84,XXX MI, bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs

Comment

Well, again, I have the 6-speed. According to my owners' manual, there is no need to replace the fluid. Now, as much as I trust that book, I don't feel safe leaving it like that. I plan on at least doing a drain and fill. But I'll do some more reading first.

If you don't have an owners' manual, go to shbox.com. You can find it under lt1 tech aides.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
        X