How To Install A Ram Air Hood?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Install A Ram Air Hood?

I'm in the process of putting my car back together, and I'm having some problems with the ram air SS style hood. I bought the hood used, so I'm not completely sure what brand it is, but I think it was like American Sports Car or something like that. I had to modify my hood hinges, because the hood was around 5/16 of an inch high towards the windshield. The problem that I'm having is that I don't know how to install the ram air box, which is from SLP for the Camaro SS. I think that it bolts to the fuel rails, but I don't see any threads in those holes. And I can't bolt it on because the AIR line for the driver's side exhaust manifold is in the way, as well as the fuel lines. Also, there doesn't seem to be enough room between my Trick Flow intake elbow and the tube coming out of the ram air box for the MAF sensor. I've noticed that there are a few of you who have functional hoods, and I was just wondering if anyone had these problems and how you fixed them.

Btw, I am a first time f-body owner, and I can't wait to get my car running. I got a pretty good deal on it, because I found it wrecked. It was hit on the driver's side fender and bumper cover, and bent the frame. I already have the frame straightened, and all of the body parts are on the car except the hood. Once I make sure the hood fits, its time to get it painted. I've been doing alot of reading here, and everybody seems to know alot. I'd like to thank anyone who replies ahead of time, and I'm glad that there is a place like this where all of us f-body owners can find and share information.

-Andrew
    95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

you sure that the frame is perfectly straight? that "might" be the problem ur having with the hood fitting, just a thought good luck with it.
    1967 Camaro "Project"
    1972 Chevelle "454"
    1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

I have the hood alignment taken care of, I just don't know for sure how the ram air box is installed. It looks like it bolts on where the front two bolts are for the fuel rails. I think that the fuel lines can just be run above the tube that comes out of the ram air box. As for the AIR system, I'm not sure if I have to remove it on the driver's side, or if it can be modified so it isn't in the way.

Comment

Here are some pics that might help...

Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks for the pics Tracy, I know how it goes on there now, but the AIR line that runs to the driver's side exhaust manifold is still in the way. It looks like I have a few options, but I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I could cut the metal tube that runs up from the AIR pump, plug the end, and remove the line from the manifold and plug that too. This way would be the easiest, and I would at least have it hooked up on the passenger side. Another option is to try and bend the pipe from the AIR pump and get some rubber hose so I could keep it on both sides, but it will be difficult to bend the pipe without kinking it. I wonder what the AIR system looks like on the SS. They might have a different setup so it is out of the way of the ram air. If anyone has any other suggestions, or if they think that one of these solutions should work, please let me know. I think some pics might help explain what I'm talking about, so I'll try to post some tomorrow.

-Andrew

Comment

In the first pic I posted you can see the air valve. It appears to be turned, in any event it looks different than any air valve I have seen on a non-ss car. Maybe it has a different part number?
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a part number after work tonight. Here are two pics of the AIR tube that comes out of the AIR pump, and is in the way.

Comment

I couldn't find the part number, so I'll just use the stock intake. After I get the car back together, my Dad said that he would help me bend a new pipe, and I'll just get some hose from Autozone to connect it back together.

Comment

Working...
                X