shifter upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shifter upgrade

Hey everyone, I know that sometime in near future (about a month) I will be gettigng an after markett shifter. My freind with the 96camaro has a Hurst shifter and I really don't like it that much, but since I don't no any one with the Pro 5.0 on a T-56, I was hoping some one here has had some experience with it. I would apperciate some comments on the Pro 5.0, Thanks
    1995 Trans Am, 75k, T-tops, 6-speed, Pace Setter Long Tubes and ORY, Custom Flow-TECH Terminator Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, Cags plus free mods........Up next; Tune and CAI

Back when my car still had the T56, I had the Hurst Comp+. I replaced that with the Pro 5.0 and it was a major upgrade. The Pro 5.0 is a work of art..... too bad the boot covers it up. I switched after driving my buddy's Pro 5.0 equipped 99 SS. While it significantly improves the 2->3 shift, it still doesn't make it foolproof, but its much better than the stocker or the Hurst.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The Hurst "factory style" and Competition+ shifters are junk.

The Hurst Billet/Plus is in par with the Pro5.0.

I'm speaking from experience here. I've owned all of them, and prefer the Hurst Billet/Plus. Like the pro5.0, it is a work of art. too bad the boot covers most of it up.

Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I don't have an aftermarket shifter, but I do have the Hurst shift knob and I love the feel of it. You can see it here.
        Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

I have the hurst billet plus chrome shifter and love it. You can really nail the 2-3 shift. I have not used the pro 5.0 but will say the hurts is a work of art in chrome and feels soooo much better than the stock.
          1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Just my 2 cents...if you're on a budget, the SLP shifter is pretty good. I love the feel of it, its only $100 and is definitely a shorter throw than the sotck. Just something to consider
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I have the PRO 5.O w/ Lou's Short Stick and it was one of the best mods I've done yet. I'd recommend it!
              '99 SS, #1392 Onyx Black/Neutral leather; M6; T-Tops; SLP Options: Perf. Exhaust; Key Fobs; Plaque

Mods.; SLP L/T's; SLP Y-Pipe; Random Tech High-Flow Cats; SLP Loudmouth; PRO 5.O w/ Lou's Short Stick; MTI Airlid w/ K&N; Hotchkiss STB; OPTIMA Red Top; Chrome ZR1's

Comment

I've got a Pro 5.0 shifter. I like it. I never had a problem going from second to third, but this shifter makes everything feel much more rigid and crisp. It takes getting used to but I think it was worth it. It assists you in traveling thorugh gears which always makes me nervous. When you're driving at regular speeds, from 2nd to 3rd, all you do is push forward gently and it goes right in. When I'm beating on it I shift extremely fast (people tell me that my car sounds like it's automatic when I drive like this, though that never really meant anything to me). I'm always afraid that I'm going to push too hard and drop it back into first. That's why I do this when I pound on it-

When you're in second, put your hand facing 1 'o' clock on the top of the shifter and push in that direction when you shift. You'll never miss third.
                Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                SOLD- Kinda miss it
                94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                SOLD- Good riddance!
                2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I have the pro 5.0 with the hurst aluminum pistol grip knob and it is awesome. I had to replace the stick that came with the shifter with a 6" short stick because the other one was too long with the pistol grip.
                  LOUD2000T/A
                  '00 Trans Am M6, K&N filter, Airbox Lid, F.A.S.T. LS-X Intake, Stainlessworks offroad y-pipe, Loudmouth catback, Pro 5.0 shifter, Hypertech programming, 17" Torque Thrust II wheels, 12.97@113; '87 Monte Carlo SS; '91 Sonoma V6 4x4.

Comment

Thanks to all of you that responded! I really was leaing towards the Pro 5.0, and am even more now. But me and my friend have talked about switching for awhile, putting my stock shifter in his car then letting me run his Hurst in mine just for a bit, come to think i belive it is just the Competition+, not the Hurst billet plus chrome shifter, but the only problem with that is I don't no any one with the Pro 5.0, so I guess I will have to judge from what you all think about it and it appears everyone has nice things to say about the Pro. 5.0
                    1995 Trans Am, 75k, T-tops, 6-speed, Pace Setter Long Tubes and ORY, Custom Flow-TECH Terminator Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, Cags plus free mods........Up next; Tune and CAI

Comment

When I bought the Pro 5.0, about 4-5 years ago, it only came with one choice on the lever. It was not quite short enough, but it was possible to cut about 1" off of it, and still fit the knob on it. Now I think they have a choice of levers. Before that I had the Hurst Comp+ with a Lou Salzano Short Stick, and the stick was too short when I put the switch on it for my line lock. The switch was down in the console, and hard to operate, and would bang into the console. The longer stick on the Pro 5.0 was a good compromise.

I also found that I had to put thread locker on the allen-head bolts that held the lever to the mechanism on the Pro 5.0, and use a beefy socket and ratchet to tighten the bolts as much as possible, or they would eventually rattle loose.
                      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                      X