Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which electric cutout to get? (and update on my car!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which electric cutout to get? (and update on my car!)

just skip to the end if you want to help with my electric cutout question.

okay, so I finally got my car's motor in, here is what happened:
    starter: '86 Caprice Classic, 5.0 smog crappy motor, 140,000 miles and a nicely rebuilt 700R4 put in about 2000 miles ago.
    the donor: brand new crate 350, 4 bolt main, no frills motor, but pretty reliable. Rated at 300hp.
    My mechanic talked me into keeping the original intake, carb, and distributor. '86 is a bad year because they are pretty mechanical motors run by computers. Yes, if that sounds like it won't to well its because it really doesn't. If I would replace one thing, I would have to replace pretty much every bit of electrical device related to the drivetrain on the entire car for anything to work. So, the stock intake is a nice aluminum one, the carb is a Quadrajet that I am getting rebuilt right now, and that will be plenty of carb for the motor, and I just replaced the cap and rotor for the distributor. So, trying to replace everything I can. Brand new motor, cleaned up the intake, rebuilt the carb, replaced cap and rotor, new 3-core radiator, all new hoses, new motor mounts, new plugs and wires, and the exhaust.......
    The exhaust is the beauty of this project. I wanted a completely quiet system with the efficiency gains of an exhaust system and all (and true duals), but have it being LOUD at the flick of a switch. I did some research and I have ordered a Flowmaster cat-back Force III system built originally for the LT1 Impala SS. These things are actually extremely quiet. Up front, I found a set of 14-gauge headers (yes, that is very thick for headers for those of you not familiar with metals) with 3/8 flanges from Hedman so I won't have to worry about hearing the ticks or anything. Now, between the headers and the cat-back I want a set of electric cut-outs.

So, the question is, I am looking for a QUALITY set of electric cutouts that will last me, and obviously ones for a good price, but the quality part is the most important (and they CAN NOT leak). Anybody know of any group buys or anything? I have been reading up on the QTEC system from QTP and it seems really nice, but my heart skips a beat at the $400 price tag every time I look at it.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the extremely long post of me just BSing
    my car:
    '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
    check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

I have a QTP on mine, but i'm not sure I would buy another one. I already had to return it once for repair. Their warrenty is 3 months, and I was just outside that time period, but they covered it anyways. Their service is excellent.

If I was going to do it again, I'd look for the brand with the best warrenty. I'm not sure that would be QTP or not. Another good thing about QTP is they do offer a complete rebuild service for around $30.00.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
      I have a QTP on mine, but i'm not sure I would buy another one. I already had to return it once for repair. Their warrenty is 3 months, and I was just outside that time period, but they covered it anyways. Their service is excellent.

If I was going to do it again, I'd look for the brand with the best warrenty. I'm not sure that would be QTP or not. Another good thing about QTP is they do offer a complete rebuild service for around $30.00.
      yea, I did a search here and found that DHM makes a nice set with a 4 year warranty.

Can anyone else give me any feedback on any of these cutouts?
      my car:
      '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
      check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

Have you considered cable cutouts? It gives the same effect and cheap too. Or did you have you mind set on the electric cutouts?

96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

I had the McCord Powerplate on my 93 Formula. I had the Borla E-Cutout.

It worked great, went on easy, and sealed well.

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm

Randy
          99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
          93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Working...
          X