security light

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• security light

i drive a 97 trans-am with lt1 . here is the problrm, when i go to turn the key the security light comes on and the car wont start. if i let it sit for a couple minutes the light will go off then i can start it. doesnt happen everytime but happens enough to make me want to pull out a hammer. any tips would really help.

Clean the key with alcohol. Maybe some good Smirnoff. No that would be a waste. Gordons would be cheaper. No seriously some rubbing alcohol should help. I sprayed some carb cleaner in my ignition switch about a year ago and it hasn't done it since.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

The security light will come on when the VATS box is not able to read the resistor pellet in the ignition key. This could be due to dirt on the key as mentioned above, or it could also be dirt in the lock cylinder on the contacts in there. OR... it could be the lock cylinder wires are beginning to wear out.

Inside the column there are two little wires that go to the lock cylinder. These are the wires that sense the voltage in the key's resistor. Everytime you turn the ignition these wires bend and after years of bending they break. Once this happens you'll need to replace the ignition switch or do the VATS bypass mod.

I hope cleaning the key fixes it for you. It takes me about 45 minutes to swap out a lock cylinder and I've done it a few times and have the right tools.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

thanks yall for the tips. was wondering if there was a way to over-ride this ? or if it continues would it be bettere to just replace it insyead of removing it ?

Comment

Originally posted by casten
          thanks yall for the tips. was wondering if there was a way to over-ride this ? or if it continues would it be bettere to just replace it insyead of removing it ?
          Just clean the key
          Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by casten
            There are two wires running down at the base of the steering column I think they run with the air bag wires. You have to find out what OHMS the pellet in your key is and buy a resisor that OHM. You then just cut the wires and put the resistor in place. I think there is a good write up on it on the shhbox site.
            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key

you can get your ohm rating at radio shack. just take your key and get it rated...then buy the corresponding resistor.

I did this awhile back...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

cool thanks again for all the info big time help

Comment

Well...my security light is on all the time and starts with it on..So what does that exactly mean?
                  96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Comment

Originally posted by 96Camaro
                    Well...my security light is on all the time and starts with it on..So what does that exactly mean?
                    It means your Passkey system detected a problem after the engine was already running, so it is now in "fault enable mode" allowing you to continue to start the car. Passkey protection is disabled.
                    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Ahh....so how would i go about getting rid of that dumb light?
                      96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Comment

After I installed the resistor the light went off after about ten minutes.
                        96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

Originally posted by 96Camaro
                          If it is the problem with the key cylinder, replacement or bypass that has already been mentioned.
                          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Working...
                          X