"Researched" Exhuast question :D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Researched" Exhuast question :D

Hey everyone, ok i no i said I was going to get a borla cat back but it went for more then expected on ebay and I belive 810$ is just to much for a new one... that being said; after some limited amounts of reasearch I have came to the conclusion that a true dual set up with pace setter headers will be cheaper then Slp Loudmouth cat back and off road y-pipe with the pace setters. Now I only plan to push about 350 or so HP, my question being, would I end up not bennifiting as much as I would have if I would have got the catback that are more commenly ran on cars with the closer to stock HP numbers...Any input and opinions, pictures and links on the topic are apperciated, thanks!
    1995 Trans Am, 75k, T-tops, 6-speed, Pace Setter Long Tubes and ORY, Custom Flow-TECH Terminator Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, Cags plus free mods........Up next; Tune and CAI

PHR may 05 has a whole bunch of info on exhuast and it should help you figure out if your asking the right kind of questions when it comes to hp from your exhuast system
    1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

Your opening up a can of worms here because everyone has a different opinion on running true duals but the one thing that will be agreed upon is that you will need to find someone to make them for you if you want to go over the axle because there is so little clearance. IMHO pacestter long tubes and true duals sound amazing but then again look at my sig . I have duals that exit right in front of the rear tires (its illegal in PA for your exhaust system to end underneath the vehicle). I love mine with the exception of loosing some clearance. If your only planning on around 350hp a 3in single exhaust is plenty. There is also a 4in Mufflex exhaust that has gotten some very good reviews on this site. If I could go back and do it again I would have just gone 3in over the axle. If you do a search on here you'll come up with many threads about duals and see that its usually a better idea just to run a y-pipe and single exhuast over the axle because of clearance and money.
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
        Your opening up a can of worms here because everyone has a different opinion on running true duals but the one thing that will be agreed upon is that you will need to find someone to make them for you if you want to go over the axle because there is so little clearance. IMHO pacestter long tubes and true duals sound amazing but then again look at my sig . I have duals that exit right in front of the rear tires (its illegal in PA for your exhaust system to end underneath the vehicle). I love mine with the exception of loosing some clearance. If your only planning on around 350hp a 3in single exhaust is plenty. There is also a 4in Mufflex exhaust that has gotten some very good reviews on this site. If I could go back and do it again I would have just gone 3in over the axle. If you do a search on here you'll come up with many threads about duals and see that its usually a better idea just to run a y-pipe and single exhuast over the axle because of clearance and money.
        Wow I really haven't noticed you have the LT pacesetters with the true duals. How much did it cost you to have the pipeing fabricated? I really like the looks of the true duals and also have herd a LT1 with true duals and it sounded great. Also Have you ever ran your car down the 1/4?. Oh I live around Topeka Kansas and i don't got to worry about emmision BS,Thanks
        1995 Trans Am, 75k, T-tops, 6-speed, Pace Setter Long Tubes and ORY, Custom Flow-TECH Terminator Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, Cags plus free mods........Up next; Tune and CAI

Comment

It cost me $300 to have my duals done which I felt was a rip off. The owner of the shop I took it to is a friend of my family and I trusted him to do a good job which they didn't. All that was done was a reducer was put on the collector to make it 2.5in which runs directly into a high flow cat then into a muffler then it makes one 90 degree bend and exits before the wheels. Compared to my brother having a 3in y-pipe built for his 99 Z28 at another local shop where they connected it to the headers made a y then brought it over the axle for only $200 and there were a decent amounts of bends to do and he has no clearance or vibration isssues. Mine on the other hand does drag sometimes and I had to take it back to the shop to have them mounted higher since they weren't smart enough to realize that when the car was on the lift the suspension hung lower and made it look like there was more clearance. I personally think the way to go is with a y-pipe and 3in catback but to each his own.
          1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
            It cost me $300 to have my duals done which I felt was a rip off. The owner of the shop I took it to is a friend of my family and I trusted him to do a good job which they didn't. All that was done was a reducer was put on the collector to make it 2.5in which runs directly into a high flow cat then into a muffler then it makes one 90 degree bend and exits before the wheels. Compared to my brother having a 3in y-pipe built for his 99 Z28 at another local shop where they connected it to the headers made a y then brought it over the axle for only $200 and there were a decent amounts of bends to do and he has no clearance or vibration isssues. Mine on the other hand does drag sometimes and I had to take it back to the shop to have them mounted higher since they weren't smart enough to realize that when the car was on the lift the suspension hung lower and made it look like there was more clearance. I personally think the way to go is with a y-pipe and 3in catback but to each his own.
            DOH, yea 300$ does sound high. Well I am glad you have true duals and are telling me your downsides, I think performance wise the smart thing would be headers with y-pipe and 3in cat back. Thanks your info, it has been very helpfull!!

Comment

Working...
            X