Header Gasket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header Gasket

Hey I have exhaust leak from my headers. What the best fix for this I HAVE SUPER COMP HOOKER HEADERS. The car is a 1995 Z28.

Where is the leak? What kind of gaskets and bolts did you use?
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Felpro 1406 has worked for me, but as Fred said, we need more info. How long have you had them on? If you don't have "locking" bolts, did you continually retighten them due to potential backing out?
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I put mine in for 800 miles and it leak like a zip, I"m using this Breslin Split-Lock Header BoltsDitch from Summitracing and still working OK
        http://store.summitracing.com/
        IF IT'S TOO LOUND, YOU ARE TOO OLD
        97 Firehawk Production # 23

Comment

I copied this from another thread:

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          after yet another leak partly due to losing a couple of stage 8 retaining clips, I am stepping up to what I should have used in the first place.

Percy's Seal-4-Good "dead soft" aluminum. Part #66031 For D-port LT-1's.

Not only is it the ultimate seal, but if I happen to lose another clip and a bolt backs out the gasket is not history. I did the install on the dreaded passenger side. The driver's side Felpro 1406 is still holding so for the moment, so I'll get to that later. For now, it's a rolling test bed. The Percy's gaskets are a stacked aluminum layer that is pretty thick. As the gasket gets crushed, it conforms to irregular surfaces and a leak proof seal is created. They are reuseable too. Good thing, at roughly $40 delivered, they better be. The key here is it's actually a time saving call. I seriously think that any installation that is in this kind of close quarters warrants a little extra insurance against having to do it more than once. If I had done it right the first time, when the clip and bolt backed out, I could have simply retorqued the bolt and put on another clip. Instead I spent the day doing it all over again instead of finishing another project.

Comment

I used what came with the headers. I had them on for 3 months. The headers leak on the passenger side. Two bolts had back out so I tight them up. I used lock tight on the bolts and they still came out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ponyrider
              I used what came with the headers. I had them on for 3 months. The headers leak on the passenger side. Two bolts had back out so I tight them up. I used lock tight on the bolts and they still came out.
              You will probably need to use locking bolts. Also the paper gaskets that come with headers should be immediately thrown in the garbage I haven't heard of anyone having much luck with them. I'm not 100% sure but I think with most gaskets especially the paper ones once a leak occurs it blows the gasket out and its no longer good.
              1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Thamks alot,I do the repairs once I get hell out of Iraq. That we be around Feb 07

Comment

I don't think that I'd use Loctite on header bolts because it doesn't hold up to heat. The Blue will only hold up to 300*F. I couldn't find a heat rating for the Red, but it says removable with heat and hand tools. The Green didn't give a rating either, but my friend bought some awhile back, and I believe that the packaging said the maximum temperature was around 500*F, but don't quote me on that.
                  95 A4 Z28 with 146K miles

My DD is a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd w/ 2/4 drop and 20" Centerline Stingray III's

Comment

Working...
                  X