How to use rubbing compound...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use rubbing compound...?

got some turtle wax rubbing compound. the tube says "removes scratches" and thats what i want it for. but it also says heavy duty dont want to hurt my paint either. can someone please tell me how to use this stuff?
    thanks,
    eddie
    1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Originally posted by LoudLT1
    got some turtle wax rubbing compound. the tube says "removes scratches" and thats what i want it for. but it also says heavy duty dont want to hurt my paint either. can someone please tell me how to use this stuff?
    thanks,
    eddie
    What are you trying to accomplish?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Sounds like he's trying to get rid of a couple scratches...
      96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Comment

The red stuff will strip clearcote & paint really quick. You should use the mildest polish you can and if you aren't getting anywhere, then go heavier. Maybe try some glaze meant for clearcoat first, then try medium cutting if that doesn't work.

Comment

I've removed some fairly ugly scrapes from my hood with Zaino..... if it isn't deep enough to catch your finger nail in, you should try something much more gentle before you use "rubbing compound".

Rubbing compound is for quick cutting a finish to get rid of orange peel. If you need something stronger than Zaino, as suggested above, start with the mildest glaze or polish you can find. You can get some polishing compound that is the equivalent of 10,000-grit sandpaper. Then there's a Meguiar's scratch remover that is a little harsher, but will remove deeper scratches. Then a duPont white "polishing compund".

I wouldn't even attempt to use the "rubbing compound".
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

going to get something mild then. thanks guys...
            just want to get rid of some swirls and light scratches on my hood...
            eddie
            eddie
            1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

Originally posted by LoudLT1
              thanks,
              eddie
              I typically use the professional 3M cutting/polishing/glaze compounds (color sanding with a 2000-3000 grit paper if necessary). Don't use commercial "Turtle Wax" products. You need to know how to use these products with a machine. A person without the experience can make a real mess real fast. It sounds like the Zaino stuff works well hand applied by the novice...probably your best bet.

...by the way, rubbing(different stages of cutting) compound is typically used after color sanding followed by polishing compounds. If you apply rubbing compound, your finish will be extremely dull. There are several stages from sanding, machining with a cutting compound, machining with a polishing compound, to hand working a polishing glaze. You can apply cutting compound to a small area to fix a deep scratch followed by hand polishing, but it is easy to mess up. If the scratch cuts through the clear, the area needs to be spot repaired and blended using the before mentioned process.
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I would stay far away from rubbing compund as well. It can remove clear completely if you are not experienced or careful. You will spend all day removing it as well. Not fun.

Like some of the guys suggested, try a much lighter polish first. I have also got rid of some pretty noticeable swirls and scratches with Z5.

Comment

Working...
                X