Deal on a 94 V6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deal on a 94 V6

I'm going to pick up a teal 1994 Camaro from a buddy of mine this weekend. It's the V6, auto with 180,000 miles on it. It doesnt burn a drop of oil, runs well and shifts perfectly. It was his wifes old car, she used it for commuting a long distance to work. The interior is mint, the seats are perfect. The paint is good, it's never seen any bodyshops. All original. His wife is a flourist, and never abused the car inside or out. It's a hardtop.

Here is the kicker....

$500

I'm think I should detail it out and flip it. I bet I can get at least $2000 for it.
    It will be a nice project for my brother and I to do, we can split the proceeds.

or, I could part it out. The airbags and good seats alone should be worth $400. The front clip another $400. The tail lights, rear bumper and tail panel another $250. That's $1050 right there...

What do you guys think?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

For $500 it's hard to go wrong. If you are going to flip it, don't drive it. That is a transmission rebuild just to happen.

Comment

if its runs and moves, dont part it. flip it. make some nice xmas gift purchasing money and u can sell a guy a nice car for xmas as the same time
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Too bad I dont know of any wrecked LT1 Z28s near by. It would be fun to do a transplant from a complete wrecked donor car.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I just talked to the owner, he is going to leave the keys and title in the glove box for me. I'll go get it Monday after work with my Dad and Brother. I can't wait!
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:

Comment

Hell of a deal. You can usually make more parting them out, but just consider all the time and labor of removing disassembling all the items and then selling them locally or shipping them. You could easily flip it for 2k I would imagine.

Comment

Well, the car is sitting in my garage now. I went and picked it up last night. It was -5F out and the car had not run sinse July. It had a full tank of gas and a dead battery.

I put a good battery in it and turned the key. It popped and misfired and died. I tried again, several times and it finally groaned to life, barely running on half its cylinders. I held the pedal down a little to make it idle at 2000 rpm. After it warmed up a bit it idled on its own, very rough. The pedal response is very doggy. We went in the house to warm up a little.

My brother backed it out of the barn it was in and we were on our way. The engine is not running at all right. It stumbles and misses and does not have nearly the power it should. We did make it home though and I am happy to report the heater works great! Also, the interior is free of rattles and the doors sound solid when being closed, even with the windows down.

Once we were in my warm garage we took a moment to look it over. The bad part is a bit of rust it has going on. the passenger side is perfect, but the drivers quarter panel is showing rust around the wheel openning. Also there is some rust under the hood in a few places, one of which is pretty noticable.

The good thing is the car overall is in great shape. It has never seen any body work and is strait. The interior is perfect. there are no rips tears or stains and the top of the dash isnt even cracked. Everything works so far too, I've yet to test the A/C and Cruise. Except for the rust issues the car's body and paint is almost perfect. it should polish up very nicely. It has salad shooters on it and they are ok, but do show some corrosion where there used to be wheel weights. The Delco/Bose CD stereo works and sounds like new. I was impressed with how good it sounded. The oil looked great on the stick and the ATF looked and smelled brand new. The PS fluid was low.

We made a list of everything we'll need to do to the car to get it working right and looking new. I think it should be possible to make it really nice for a few hundred dollars in parts and rust repair.

The spark plug wires are new... I replaced them for the owner last summer. I think i'm going to start out by replacing the spark plugs, fuel filter, cleaning the throttle body and seafoaming the motor. I have a spark checker, so I'll use that to test each cylinder and make sure all the coils are good.

If it still doesnt run right I'll look at the injectors and fuel pressure. The MIL (SES light) is not on, but I havent scaned it yet so it might have a code stored that does not trigger the MIL.

Not bad for $500, though!
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:

Comment

Sounds like a good deal.

Comment

Great find, Tracy. Good luck with it.

This story is strangely similar to when I bought my daily beater this past February. I was looking for a 4 wheel drive Blazer with a little over 100K on the clock. They were all priced upwards of $2,000. My Brother called me and found a '91 Bravada with 113K on it for $700. Winner!

The greatest part about the deal was the previous owner literally JUST had a brand new $220 Blaupunkt head unit installed. All I need are a few decent speakers and I have a solid sound system.

I brought it home and it was running very rough. Didn't seem to like the single digit temps. First things I did were a cap and rotor (the rotor was real bad), plugs, wires, fuel filter, and EGR valve. It has run like a top ever since.

Good luck and have fun. I love working in a heated garage during the winter.
                  SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                  Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Tracy, you need to drain all that gas immediately before running any more of that bad gas through the fuel system. I wouldn't personally have started it at all until I had done this. There is no way the gas is good sitting since July. Gas can go start to go bad after as little as 6 weeks. This is why it is running bad.

Other than that, it sounds like you are on the right track for getting this puppy back to health.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                      Tracy, you need to drain all that gas immediately before running any more of that bad gas through the fuel system. I wouldn't personally have started it at all until I had done this. There is no way the gas is good sitting since July. Gas can go start to go bad after as little as 6 weeks. This is why it is running bad.

Other than that, it sounds like you are on the right track for getting this puppy back to health.
                      It is running bad because one of the plug wires was cut in two. It also looks like they are on wrong?! I'm surprised it ran at all. My brother is on his way over with a new set of wires and I'm going to make sure they get put on in the right order!

I've stored cars in 5 month stints all my life and never had a problem with bad gas. So have lots of other people I know. As long as I've lived I've never put fuel stabilizer in a car for winter storage, and that is around a dozen winter storages. no problems. no problems for my dad either.
                      Maybe we are just getting extremely lucky?

In any event, I'll have to look into dumping the tank if all else fails.

Wish us luck!
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                        It is running bad because one of the plug wires was cut in two. It also looks like they are on wrong?! I'm surprised it ran at all. My brother is on his way over with a new set of wires and I'm going to make sure they get put on in the right order!

I've stored cars in 5 month stints all my life and never had a problem with bad gas. So have lots of other people I know. As long as I've lived I've never put fuel stabilizer in a car for winter storage, and that is around a dozen winter storages. no problems. no problems for my dad either.
                        Maybe we are just getting extremely lucky?

In any event, I'll have to look into dumping the tank if all else fails.

Wish us luck!
                        Just ask yourself what would be easier...draining the gas by priming the fuel pump(5 mins max) or siphoning, or having to go through the fuel system replacing components that were "gummed" up from the 6 month old gas. It's just not worth the risk IMO.

Sometimes gas WILL stay good for a long period of time....but it only takes one bad tank.

Comment

Something else to think about. If the gas was filled last summer than it's not formulated for winter weather. Not a big deal, but it could account for at least some of the issues.
                          Joe K.
                          '11 BMW 328i
                          '10 Matrix S AWD
                          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

They change the gas formula for the winter months?
                            No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
                              They change the gas formula for the winter months?
                              Yes... In cold weather climates like where Tracy is, and here in NEw England. Between October and May, the gasoline is oxygenated.
                              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Working...
                              X