possible battery/alternator problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible battery/alternator problems

Ok. My friends 95 trans am died on him on the way to my house. He said the abs light was on, then a little wihle later a whole lot of lights came on and it died. Wouldnt start back up. I went and got the batter out of my car and put it in his. Started right up, but the voltage meter was reading still a bit low. I personaly think its an alternator problem but I am not for sure. Also on the drive back the idle fluxuated a little bit. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    96 Camaro Z28, T-tops, 6 Speed, Slp CIA, Flowmaster cat-back, 3:42 gears

Originally posted by 96Camaro
    Ok. My friends 95 trans am died on him on the way to my house. He said the abs light was on, then a little wihle later a whole lot of lights came on and it died. Wouldnt start back up. I went and got the batter out of my car and put it in his. Started right up, but the voltage meter was reading still a bit low. I personaly think its an alternator problem but I am not for sure. Also on the drive back the idle fluxuated a little bit. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Well I got home and on the way home it ideled fine. I did notice the voltage reading had a study decline all the way home. Any suggestions, comments apperciated!
    1995 Trans Am, 75k, T-tops, 6-speed, Pace Setter Long Tubes and ORY, Custom Flow-TECH Terminator Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, Cags plus free mods........Up next; Tune and CAI

Comment

Test the alternator. This is my "poor mans" load test. Crank the car without anything on then disconnect the battery. Then rev it to ~1500 RPMs. Then start turning on things. Turn on the A/C, slowly turn up the fan. Then the lights then high beams then rear defroster. If the engine starts missing or dies at any time during then the alternator or regulator is bad.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Put the new alternator in...held good voltage for about a min and went back to crap. Now has the dang battery gone out ? Idk, gonna try different battery and see what happens. If this new alternator has gone bad already atleast its under warentee . But would not be too happy about putting another one in lol.

Comment

Ok well found out it wasnt the battery....When I put the alternator in, while I was driving it the ground wire became disconected beings how I had toput a new end on it. And could that have caused the alternator to have gone bad? Not a big deal if it did because its under warentee . But just wanted opinions on this.

Comment

Reman alternators can go bad. It's common when the rebuilders cut corners and don't replace everything. I've seen people go through three or four just to get one that is good.

Comment

Well my friend said today that the voltage went up after a while. So atleast it works for now.

Comment

Working...
              X