Water Pump Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump Help!

I have a 94 v6. Of course the water pump has gone bad, I have the pulley off and air intake, belt etc, I got two of the bolts out, I do I get the rest off and the power steering. Or am I going about this the wrong way. Any one have any pics or tips or can walk me through it I would appreciate it.

I checked a manual I have and I'm wondering if you have the 3.4L oe the 3.8L. The 3.4 has 5 mounting bolts and the 3.8L has 4 mounting bolts. Just becareful of the extra coolant that may be sitting in the pump unit. As for the accessories, take off what ever is needed and keep a pad and pencil to mar where they go so you dont forget. Feel free to ask any mr questions as I have the manual here.
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Originally posted by blackthunder50
      I checked a manual I have and I'm wondering if you have the 3.4L oe the 3.8L.
      1994 would be the 3.4.

The 3.8 was not offered until late 1995.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

thanks for the help, I've taken off about 7 bolts now, my book shows about 11-12 bolts to take off and I have to take off the power steering pump and pulley, I don't have a clue how to do that I have a pulley removal tool but it looks like the tool would bend or warp the pulley. behind the power steering there are two or 3 bolts. ahhhhh this is really getting to much, should have taken it somewhere. help its a 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by crazycooter
          thanks for the help, I've taken off about 7 bolts now, my book shows about 11-12 bolts to take off and I have to take off the power steering pump and pulley, I don't have a clue how to do that I have a pulley removal tool but it looks like the tool would bend or warp the pulley. behind the power steering there are two or 3 bolts. ahhhhh this is really getting to much, should have taken it somewhere. help its a 3.4
          Cooter you do not need to separate the PS pulley from the pump. I've done a few waterpumps on 3.4's and we didn't pull the pulley. You just have to jiggle the coil pack a little to get it to clear. Just loosen the 3 bolts that attach the coil pack assembly to the mounting plate on the PS pump.

Comment

thanks for the huge advice i'll try it tommorrow and let you know how it goes!

Comment

thanks for the huge advice i'll try it tommorrow and let you know how it goes!
              something I've learned from my years working on cars...take your time. you'll get it done a lot faster if you just observe, plan out, and get the right tools, instead of busting your knukles or stripping a bolt...a buddy to help doesn't hurt either...nor does a manual.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

what sucks is that I live in the middle of no where, and I have a manuel but it sayes to pull the ps pulley to get the ps pump off. neighbor said he didn't think I should have to pull the pulley but it looks like bolts behind the pulley.

Comment

got it off but not with out major issues, i removed the coil pack and got the bolts for the ps bracket lose but it would no budge there or bolts on the back of the pump, ain't no swinging going on there. did a lot of pulling and swearing but finally got it off!

Next question, better to get a new wp or a rebuilt one? Also other than the gasket do I need anytype of sealant to put on the new one? Thanks in advance for the help!

Comment

got it off but not with out major issues, i removed the coil pack and got the bolts for the ps bracket lose but it would no budge there or bolts on the back of the pump, ain't no swinging going on there. did a lot of pulling and swearing but finally got it off!

Next question, better to get a new wp or a rebuilt one? Also other than the gasket do I need anytype of sealant to put on the new one? Thanks in advance for the help!
                    Yep, water pumps on these are NOT fun. Glad you figured it out.

Comment

Working...
                    X