Limited Slip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited Slip

Did all '96 firebird formulas come with limited slip, or was this an option? Also, was there a choice with gear ratios?

Thanks
    '96 Firebird Formula, LT1, stock, automatic

no: yes: yes:

Comment

I am fairly certain that only the V6's received the standard rear axle and had the G80 option of receiving the LS rear axle. All V8 4th Gens received the limited slip.

To find your rear axle ratio look at your RPO codes on the build sheet. Could be on door jamb, center console, glove box.

GU2 = 2.73 - V8 A4 without "performance rear axle
      GU4 = 3.08 - Usually on the V6's
      GU5 = 3.23 - V8 A4 with performance rear axle
      GU6 = 3.42 - V8 with M6 - All

Comment

all V8's had LSD...gear ratios differ from car to car tranny to tranny. Fast is right...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

So if my '96 V8 Formula is acting like an open differential, I have a worn out limited slip? Damn. Thanks guys for the answers.

Comment

Originally posted by brothapig
            So if my '96 V8 Formula is acting like an open differential, I have a worn out limited slip? Damn. Thanks guys for the answers.
            Have you changed your differential lube lately? If so, did you add the limited slip additive? It may help to drain the old lube and put in some new lube along with the additive.

But, yes it is also possible that you have worn clutches within the LS unit.

Comment

I just bought the car this summer, and have not changed the oil. I believe, but I could be wrong, that the additive actually makes the cluches grab less, so no additive might work..(not that I'll try it)

Can those clutch(?) disks in the rear end be changed without removing the carrier? I really don't want to dig into this rearend (bad luck with rearends before; noisy, etc) I'll most likely take it in if that's what it requires. Thanks guys.

Comment

the addtive prevents the noise from the clutchs engaging and releasing and they help the disk/clutch for longer life
                2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                X