Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what difference will i feel with gears....?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what difference will i feel with gears....?

so i have 3:73's right now on my 79 T.A but ive been thinking on getting 4:10's for the ls1 6spd combo i plan on droping in the car shortly so will i feel any diffrence in going up 2 4:10's? how crazy would 4:56's be? , the motor will make its peak at 6000rpm so off the hole it might be a lil slow lol, well thanks for any help guys..... n gals .
    1967 Camaro "Project"
    1972 Chevelle "454"
    1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

I don't think you'll feel a huge difference but you will feel one theless. Have fun with it.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I think 4.56s would be overkill for a non-track car. Unless you have slicks or drag radials on it all the time, 1st gear would probably not be usable. Using stock diameter tires, 1st gear would top out at 38, 2nd would be 56, 3rd 77, 4th 100. So in the 1320, you'd have to shift into overdrive. With 4.10s, 4th theoretically tops out at 112.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
        I think 4.56s would be overkill for a non-track car. Unless you have slicks or drag radials on it all the time, 1st gear would probably not be usable. Using stock diameter tires, 1st gear would top out at 38, 2nd would be 56, 3rd 77, 4th 100. So in the 1320, you'd have to shift into overdrive. With 4.10s, 4th theoretically tops out at 112.
        You will never get traction with 4.56's.
        4.10 's the way to go. I felt a huge difference from the stock 3.42's.
        So much more get up and go coming out of the hole plus more fun to drive.
        1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
        Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
        Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

My brother inlaw has 4:56's on his six speed. First and second gear are a waste of time. Unless he has his slicks on.
          96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

Originally posted by RocKin1967
            i feel any diffrence in going up 2 4:10's?
            yup, a lighter wallet from the gas milage going down hill
            sry had to be said
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Highway miles will drop a bit.
              City seems to be the same, I think mine may be getting better since I can pretty much drop it in sixth over 25MPH and leave it.
              Still havent experimented with long distance.
              1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
              Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
              Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

IMHO, I wouldn't change from 3.73s to 4.10s. I'd put the money into other things. When you get faster and faster, you need to figure what RPM you will be going thru the traps. This, of course, if you like to race your car.
                LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

thanks alot for the replys guys, keep em coming, if i get them it will be later on as the budget is gonna be drained dry when this project is finished but i cant wait.
                  1967 Camaro "Project"
                  1972 Chevelle "454"
                  1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

If you have the 8.5" ring gear, don't forget that you have options in between the 3.73 and 4.10. Like a 3.90.

Comment

With the small physical size of the gears in a late model 10 bolt, a 4.56 pinion gear is ridiculously small and weak and it will get hot from only a few teeth trying to do all the work. If you do a hard enough launch with slicks in a six speed car, it will probably deflect quite a bit, and if that doesn't let go, then all the extra torque transfers through the puny and brittle spider gears to the weak and spindly axles which are likely to break at the wear point where they are used as the inner race for the axle bearing. And if it breaks there, the wheel basically breaks off and wrecks the caliper and maybe the rear quarter panel and some other stuff. One of the mechanics at work put one in his 6 speed formula and burned it up just from driving it around and it seized up the bearings & ruined the housing so that it was not fixable. Not saying this will happen in every case, and I don't know how good his setup job was, but it's a potential problem to happen, let alone a bad overall choice in a street car. Trying to build a late 10 bolt to last at the track also runs you more than half way to the cost of a beefy aftermarket rear end. There are a few guys at the track that have seemingly unbreakable 10 bolts, but for every guy like that there are a lot more that broke. They seem to live OK with automatics, but on an A4 car that also sees street duty, 4.10 is the most that all but a few racers would go with cause the goofy OBD1 cars can only rev to 7000 or so before the stock PCM has a tizzy.

Comment

Working...
                      X