rear brake rotors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake rotors

I have noticed that the rear brake rotors on the 95 formula have big grooves in them ( i can see the pad on one side barely touches the disc, only on like 15 20% of the area it shoud), just like on the trans am

are they really that weak or is something else causing this?

are the brake discs the same on 93 and 95 f-bodies?
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

I'm not exactly clear on your post. Can you post a picture? That might help.
    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Originally posted by TRANS AM IN EUROPE
      I have noticed that the rear brake rotors on the 95 formula have big grooves in them ( i can see the pad on one side barely touches the disc, only on like 15 20% of the area it shoud), just like on the trans am

are they really that weak or is something else causing this?

are the brake discs the same on 93 and 95 f-bodies?
      1) im assuming the grooves ur talking bout look silverish and are dug into the rotor? if thats the case, u need brakes asap as the pad material is gone and ur using the backing plate to stop the car. also it should make a grinding type nosie everytime u stop

2) see above

3) i think the earlier 4th gen f-bodys had a slightly larger hub on the rear compared to the later model 4th gens. im sure the 4th gen boys will chime in
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I would replace pads and rotors and thoroughly clean all brake components with brake cleaner.
        It's a chance that the car has been setting for a while and the rotors got rusty and when you drive the rust grinds into the pads and realy screws things up.
        Make sure the aluminum calipers slide easily and are not binding. They move a little with the rotor.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Thanks for the replies

I had a better look and looks like the damage has been done before I got the car, probably the previous owner drove it long after the brake pads got worn out , sorry no pics yet

I ll take the wheels off tomorrow to check if the pistons move easily , and have a proper look at the rotors

The car brakes pretty well, a few weeks ago I locked the wheels at about 80 mph because some dumb id15t in front of me decided to brake without anything in front of him , but the car didnt slide sideways at all and that was pretty hard braking smoke and all
          93 t/a A4 3.23s
          95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
          93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc

Comment

With ABS, standard equipment on these cars, you should not be able to lock the wheels up.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              With ABS, standard equipment on these cars, you should not be able to lock the wheels up.
              Well, i m not sure the abs works on mine, thats when i realized that, the light doesnt come on, no low trac light either, just tcs light is on all the time

The wheels locked and i could hear and feel that they did not lock all at once, first the front, then the rear right and rear left at least that was what i felt... After that I checked if the abs works, but the wheels still locked and no abs or low trac light, not even as a bulb check

I ve bought the 1994 factory repair manuals and i hope it willl be useful when I start working on the brake system. Too bad it doesnt cover the tcs
              Looks like i ve got a lot of work to do on the Formula , where do you recomend me to start?
              93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

i'd suggest you do a basic brake job first (sounds like it wouldn't hurt) that way you can see where things stand, because as far as i know both the back should have locked up at the same time, as long as you weren't turning, and i don't know positivly on fouth gen but i belive its usually the back that lock first unless you tuned it to fix it
                1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

Working...
                X