Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borla cat back questions...adjuster plates

I have the adjustable Borla on my Z.
    What are your guys feelings on performance with respect to the adjustable plates.
    I have read the the 1 3/4" open plate makes more power thaen no plate.
    I have also heard the the closed plates makes more torque.
    I will be going to the dyno and I want the highest power making combination for the readings.

I put the plate with the next to biggest hole and I can feel a diffrence in low and mid power, it appears to have lost power.
    With the small hole plate when flooring it in 2nd gear the tires would consistently break traction and now they wont with the big hole plate. I cant tell if higher RPM are effected one way or the other.
    I have also read that Borla reeomends the small hole plate for most near stock applications and to use the big hole plates for strokers and power adders.

I just found this:
    http://www.ws6.com/mod-5.htm

According to this there is practically no difference in closed or open plates.
    1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
    Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
    Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

I've got an electric cutout in mine, and my buttomoter is not sensitive enough to tell any difference in acceleration with different settings. I can change it on the fly, and there is no way I could feel the difference.

Hear the difference, yes... feel it?? no.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Tracez,
      a while back you bought new leather seat covers.
      What was the site and do you still like them.
      Thanks
      1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
      Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
      Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

Originally posted by wrd1972
        Tracez,
        a while back you bought new leather seat covers.
        What was the site and do you still like them.
        Thanks
        http://www.classicsofttrim.com/

Initially, they say they only sell through qualified "installation facilities".

I told them *nobody* *ever* touches my car but me. They then agreed to ship to my door so I could do the installation myself. It was simple. I have pictures.

I am very happy with their product.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by wrd1972
          I have the adjustable Borla on my Z.
          What are your guys feelings on performance with respect to the adjustable plates.
          I have read the the 1 3/4" open plate makes more power thaen no plate.
          I have also heard the the closed plates makes more torque.
          I will be going to the dyno and I want the highest power making combination for the readings.

I put the plate with the next to biggest hole and I can feel a diffrence in low and mid power, it appears to have lost power.
          With the small hole plate when flooring it in 2nd gear the tires would consistently break traction and now they wont with the big hole plate. I cant tell if higher RPM are effected one way or the other.
          I have also read that Borla reeomends the small hole plate for most near stock applications and to use the big hole plates for strokers and power adders.

I just found this:
          http://www.ws6.com/mod-5.htm

According to this there is practically no difference in closed or open plates.
          I don't see any possible way that you can lose power by opening things up way back by the muffler, or Lingenfelter wouldn't have done it. All the tuning affecting the cylinder scavenging and fill is done in the primary exhaust & collector length area. Nothing you can do way back at the tailpipe is going to affect the pulse tuning or reversion properties of the head pipes. Quiet cars attract less cops, that's for sure, so run the closed plate around town and use the no plate option at the track, or be a cool guy like Tracy & me and get the electric cutout and dial your own.

Comment

I want to be a cool guy! Where can you get the electric cut out and how much do they run?

SOLD 1995 Trans AM 6 Speed 68k Miles - Ram Air, Borla Cat-Back, AR TTII's, JL Audio W6v2 Stealthbox and 500/1 MonoBlock Amp, Alpine Component Speaker Systems

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
              http://www.classicsofttrim.com/

Initially, they say they only sell through qualified "installation facilities".

I told them *nobody* *ever* touches my car but me. They then agreed to ship to my door so I could do the installation myself. It was simple. I have pictures.

I am very happy with their product.
              Tracy, I'd like to see the pics of those seats. If you gotta email them, don't worry about it. But I'd like to see them if you got them online already
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanius
                I want to be a cool guy! Where can you get the electric cut out and how much do they run?
                They're about a hundred-sixty or so - Dave's are a bit more with a lot of stainless parts & a slotted body for better positioning - about $190 at Summit or on his web site. He pretty much pioneered this product & I bought mine from him before he was really marketing them & I still have it.

DMH Performance

Comment

answer to ur question, bout 7hp

Originally posted by Bow94z
                  Well went today and I was Happy with the results,higher than i expected.

First pull was with my Borla Exhaust with closed plate, which only allows flow through the muffler and only comes out driver side tail pipe.
                  Accerleration from 2600-5600rpm
                  Made- 260rwhp 303rwtq

Second pull I opened up the Borla exhaust. (Comes out both tail pipes now)
                  Accerleration from 2600-5400rpm this time.
                  Made- 267rwhp 301rwtq
                  Suprised to see a 7hp gain with the exhaust wide open

Im happy it still makes decent power for 138K miles and a few bolt-on's. Now if i can only get decent ET's at the track
                  2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                    Tracy, I'd like to see the pics of those seats. If you gotta email them, don't worry about it. But I'd like to see them if you got them online already
                    PM sent.
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:

Comment

When I got my dyno, I saw a 1 hp/0 tq difference between fully open and fully closed. Although my car wasn't running right at the time...and I'm not sure if it's safe to assume this difference would hold if it were running perfect. The only thing is that I didn't dyno with the e-cutout opened half way. I know www.ws6.com got the most power with the "middle" plate...which I assume is the same as the e-cutout half open
                      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
                      X