Shimming for backlash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimming for backlash

I'm replacing my differential and have run into a problem.

While removing the original Auburn Cone, I noted that there were two thick shims on the driver side and nothing on the passenger side of the differential. When I began reassembling with the new Torsen (same ring and pinion) I have found there is too much backlash, about .025. I can't move the ring gear and differential any further over because the passenger side bearing race for the differential is against the axle housing with no shim to remove to let it move.

This appears to be the worst quality control I have ever seen. Even if I'm able to figure a way to move the ring and differential another .020 over to get the correct backlash, I have the driver side bearing partially out of the axle housing bearing seat. This is how it was with the Auburn Cone. There is like 1/2 inch of shims on the one side and nothing on the other.

I'm at a loss on how to fix this problem without replacing the entire rear axle. Does anyone here have an idea on how I can move the ring gear over? I'm considering grinding .020 off the face of the one bearing race....

What are your thoughts on the bearing off the edge of the axle housing bearing seat.

Thanks.
    1995 Z28 A4
    ZEX n2o, Hooker CatBack, BadlanzHPE cutout, CAI, SFC, 3.23, 160°, HPP2, Harwood RamAir Hood, Astra Louvre
    2001 Z28 M6
    SLP Loudmouth & Lid, CAI, SFC, 3.42, Pro 5.0, Slave line drilled, 160°, BOA-F/X SS Hood,

Did you check the pattern to confirm that the position of the pinion is correct? If not then that might need to be spaced out further with pinion shims. Otherwise, it's possible, but unlikely that the gear set is the culprit. I hate to think your housing is that far off, because I'm not sure how to fix that unless they can space the ring gear or something.

The only other thing I can think of is that someone already replaced the gears and went to a different series like 2-3, but used the wrong carrier and didn't get the thick gear. Just guessing, and I can't remember the difference in thickness between a 2 & 3 series carrier or stock & thick ring gear or if you could even get that to work with just shims.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing about the pinion being too far back. I didn't check the pattern with marking grease because I didn't change gears, only carriers. I was careful to put the gears back in exactly the same position they were removed by marking them to match.

I have heard, there's about .25 inch difference in the gear gear thickness for a 3 series. That is approximately one of the two shims on the passenger side. This all sounds like a 2 - 3 series mis-match except I really believe this is all orignal equipment. I'm using 2.73 gears. Unless the factory installed a 3 series and the replacement carrier was actually a 3 series sold as a 2 series, I'm one unlucky victim of circumstances. I need to keep plugging for answers.

thanks
      1995 Z28 A4
      ZEX n2o, Hooker CatBack, BadlanzHPE cutout, CAI, SFC, 3.23, 160°, HPP2, Harwood RamAir Hood, Astra Louvre
      2001 Z28 M6
      SLP Loudmouth & Lid, CAI, SFC, 3.42, Pro 5.0, Slave line drilled, 160°, BOA-F/X SS Hood,

Comment

Working...
      X