67 SS 472 BB 1/4 estimate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 67 SS 472 BB 1/4 estimate

Hey guys, A good freind of mine has a 67 SS camaro with a 454 b/o to a 472. He has dual 4 barrel 500 CFM carbs. He has 4:11 rear end. Turbo 350 trany. He is estimated at about 535 hp. He has roller lifters and NOS on the way. What would you guys estimate his 1/4 mile time with slicks, we are thinking some where in the 11s with out the nitrous. Thanks for all respones
    1995 Trans Am, 75k, T-tops, 6-speed, Pace Setter Long Tubes and ORY, Custom Flow-TECH Terminator Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, Cags plus free mods........Up next; Tune and CAI

well if hes right on the hp and he gets traction then i would say you got a really good shot for those 11's or better as long as he can keep the wheels from just spinning
    1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

He obviously has the engine covered, but you don't say much about the suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
        He obviously has the engine covered, but you don't say much about the suspension.
        like kelly said, thats going to be the key here.... when i ran my 69 ss 396 chevelle, well over 420hp....my numbers s**ked untill i got the suspension corrected...then she was in the mid 12's..

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
          like kelly said, thats going to be the key here.... when i ran my 69 ss 396 chevelle, well over 420hp....my numbers s**ked untill i got the suspension corrected...then she was in the mid 12's..
          First sign of sinility...

You start forgetting peoples names.

D&R!
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I wouldn't be too confident with a TH350 with over 450HP. While I have done it, most times it wasn't for long. If it runs well and hooks, low 12s. Depending on the cam choice, a 4 series rear and 3 gears will have him close to maxed at 120MPH........ That *may* result in a 11 second timeslip, but I doubt he will see that without a little something extra. That's my guess and I'm stickin' to it.

Besides, I smell BS. He's not going to merely add roller lifters to a flat tappet cam. A regular cam is ground with a slight tilt to the lobe so that the lifter rotates in it's bore during use. A roller cam has it's lobes ground perfectly level to prevent lifter rotation..... thus enabling the "roller" portion of the lifter to stay pointed in the right direction without abnormal wear. and also...... It's not the HP that you want to worry about anyway, it's the torque. Not to mention that a .060 over 454 is closer to 468 cubes. having done a .060 454 years ago, I do know the motor.

The only way I could get my 67 to really hook was to use ladder bars with a housing floater and slicks. "traction" or "slapper" bars did little except help with wheel hop. He's going to need some chassis work to hook and that's why I don't think the times will be that impressive.

Comment

472's are not uncommon Joe. It is a 454 that has been previously punched out .060" over and then once again worked .025" over giving it a total finished bore of 4.335". This is not an uncommon piston and .025" is also a fairly common preset with CNC machines.

If you could give us some more info as to the chassis/suspension setup we could give you a much better formed opinion as to how the car will perform. Also do you know the race weight (car weight + driver weight) of the car. With 2 500's, he might even be making more than 535 HP. It is dependant on the intake manifold, heads, and cam setup as well.

Comment

Well its roller rockers and not lifters. The motor is a 472, a lunati flat tapppet 540-550 cam, forged crank, kb 10.25 pistons, resized rods, 781 heads, dual 500 cfm edelbrock carbs, aluminum edelbrock intake, arp bolts throughout, hooker super comp headers through turbo mufflers and the trans is rebuilt with hd parts and a 10inch tci 3000 stall. 4.11 12 bolt richmond posi. Subframe connectors, airide suspension, 295 cooper cobras with 165 on front.
                1995 Trans Am, 75k, T-tops, 6-speed, Pace Setter Long Tubes and ORY, Custom Flow-TECH Terminator Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, Cags plus free mods........Up next; Tune and CAI

Comment

Originally posted by TransAm95
                  Well its roller rockers and not lifters. The motor is a 472, a lunati flat tapppet 540-550 cam, forged crank, kb 10.25 pistons, resized rods, 781 heads, dual 500 cfm edelbrock carbs, aluminum edelbrock intake, arp bolts throughout, hooker super comp headers through turbo mufflers and the trans is rebuilt with hd parts and a 10inch tci 3000 stall. 4.11 12 bolt richmond posi. Subframe connectors, airide suspension, 295 cooper cobras with 165 on front.
                  That's probably the CC 505 cam. That is a pretty nice cam...moderate for a 472 but still nice. As long as he can cut a decent short time, he will be well into the 11's. I've seen built th350's handle well over 1000 crank hp. How long is the gamble though.

Got any pics?

Comment

Yeah I have some pics, just how can I get them on here?

Comment

Yeah I have some pics, just how can I get them on here?
                      You need to have your images stored somewhere online. Then when you go to post the images, you will see the image button; click that button and paste the URL (web address) at the prompt.

Comment

he well be into the 11s. my buddy doug runs 10.02s at roughly 128mph. so i dont see why he shouldnt be in the 11s. his car is a N/A big block, 70 chevelle ss(numbers matching, still has everything that came off the car) and its full steel cept for the hood
                        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

yea he has the power but its really gonna matter how his suspension handles that it, i know hes got airbags and subframe connecters but i really don't know how well airbags are for the strip so im not gonna say 100% 11's but if hes got the right pressure in the bags and those connecters hold that body straight then i don't see any real "problem" getting into the 11's
                          1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

295 cooper cobras with 165 on front.
                            He's got to be all over the road with those. I know! That's what I have on my TA for street duty. Based on the added info, if he hooks with slicks I hope the trans was built strong. That should be in the 11s.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                              He's got to be all over the road with those. I know! That's what I have on my TA for street duty. Based on the added info, if he hooks with slicks I hope the trans was built strong. That should be in the 11s.
                              Yea the Cooper Cobras are for street for now for him, I am not forsure what route he will begoing once the track opens. However they do, do better then the 245 in rear and 235s BF Goodrich Radial TAs that we're on there when he bought the car!

Comment

Working...
                              X