Scratches in door windows - the cause - the solution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratches in door windows - the cause - the solution

I just wanted to share something with you guys.

I had noticed vertical scratches in the drivers door window of a V6 camaro I've been fixing up to sell. The scratches were a result of window bumper pads that had worn out and deteriorated. These bumper pads are held to the outside window moulding with rivets.

to repair:

1) remove outer rubber window moulding
    2) drill out the rivets holding the original 3 bumpers
    3) obtain some vinyl siding nailers (Lowe's, Home Depot)
    4) trim off the nailer strip and cut new bumpers to size
    5) drill holes in new bumpers for rivets
    6) use rivet gun to attach new bumpers

Done!
    The soft vinyl will not scratch the window! A heat gun makes it flexable if you need to make slight adjustments in the fit with the glass diring installation.

The original bumpers are wrapped in a felt material. I think the felt is a bad idea because it car trap dirt between the bumper and the glass causing scratches. Only one of mine actually had the material on it yet. Of the original 3, one was completely gone, one was hanging by 1 rivet and the other was intact mostly.

I've got some pictures to post to, when I have more time.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

My drivers and passenger windows are both scratched, and if you shut the doors with the windows down it makes a terrible noise! looks like this info could come in handy for me! cheers! Is there any way of polishing out those scratches?
    Screaming Mad
    Car: 1994 Camaro, 3.4l V6
    Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
    0-60 7.74
    1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Comment

Post some pics..... that's good stuff!

Comment

My '96 car had that same problem. I didn't know it was that common! I'll have to be on the lookout in the future.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Screaming mad
          My drivers and passenger windows are both scratched, and if you shut the doors with the windows down it makes a terrible noise! looks like this info could come in handy for me! cheers! Is there any way of polishing out those scratches?
          Eastwood make a glass polishing kit that may remove them if they are shallow enough as to not catch your fingernail when you go across the scratch.

Comment

Are you talking about vinyl starter strip for siding? That sounds like a good idea Tracy. Pics are worth a 1000 words!

Comment

The GM replacement strips for the outside of the window are of a better design than the originals. They have a bumper that runs most of the length of the strip.

10284222 RH
              10284223 LH
              Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
                The GM replacement strips for the outside of the window are of a better design than the originals. They have a bumper that runs most of the length of the strip.

10284222 RH
                10284223 LH
                Yup, the newer ones are much better designed. I found that out when I replaced one on my convertible.

Here are the pictures, worth 1000 words!
                Rivet this replacement part in place of the old ones, and viola!

Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

When did they change to the newer design? Was it during the last years of F-body production?
                  Joe K.
                  '11 BMW 328i
                  '10 Matrix S AWD
                  Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                    When did they change to the newer design? Was it during the last years of F-body production?
                    Yes.
                    The drivers door on my Z28 is from a 2002 SS and it was the new design.

I'm not sure what year the changeover took place.
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:

Comment

How do you remove the rubber window moulding, I think I tried to do this years ago.
                      1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
                      Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
                      Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

Originally posted by wrd1972
                        How do you remove the rubber window moulding, I think I tried to do this years ago.
                        it is held on with metal clips. Starting at one end wiggle it around as you pull up and in on it. Work your way to the other end, 1 clip at a time until it is free. Be carefull not to bend it.
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                          Eastwood make a glass polishing kit that may remove them if they are shallow enough as to not catch your fingernail when you go across the scratch.
                          Ok, sadly they do catch nail, so guess im stuffed? Maybe remove 30 percent of scratches, which is a nice start!
                          Cheers
                          Screaming Mad
                          Car: 1994 Camaro, 3.4l V6
                          Pace Setter headers & Y pipe, Flowmaster Z28 exhaust, K&N cone filter. modded 4l60e, trans cooler, strut brace, Eibach pro-kit
                          0-60 7.74
                          1/4 16.52 @ 85.3

Bike: Suzuki GSXR K4 600, K&N filter,Rizla kit, R&G bobbins, Db screen, LED indicators

Comment

Working...
                          X