Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTO LS2 swap?

Hi,

I've got a chance of picking up a wrecked 05 GTO for around 4000 bucks, 400HP LS2 and 6speed manual. I was thinking about swapping this engine into my 98 V6.

Yes, I know, usually it's easier to get a V8 F-Body, but I'm not in the US, so the supply of V8 F-Bodies isn't that big ...

So, any idea what other hardware I'd need to get ahold of to get it running in the 'maro? I recon/hope that the cables etc. are fine, they'd have to be swapped over of course, too. I'll probably have a problem with the exhaust, need to pick one up that fits the V8. Anything else?
    Garry Glendown * '00 Firehawk M6 #92 * '98 Camaro V6 Convertible

Nobody? or everybody still on leave?

Comment

This has been talked about before... I'd recommend running a search for it.

I know we've talked about V6 - > LS1 swaps... not sure if we've talked about LS2s.
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Going to look at the car tomorrow - from preliminary info and first couple of pics, it sounds like it would be a shame parting out the Goat ... might be mainly body damage ... if so, and with the trouble getting the other motor registered in the Camaro papers in Germany (which is hard as no F-Body has been built with an LS2 ... TÜV sucks!), it might be an option to just fix it ...

Comment

make sure post some pictures , would be intersting...and i might be interested in getting some parts if you start parting it out
          you are from fbodyeurope? i m sure i remember your name
          93 t/a A4 3.23s
          95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
          99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
          99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
          97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
          93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
          00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

The motor is swappable into a f-body, but your V6 car is not the best candidate. I would recommend swapping it into an LS1 car.

The reason is that the V6 cars and V8 cars had more differences between them than just the motor. To transform a V6 car into a V8 car you pretty much need a complete V8 f-body donor car to get all the right pieces from. The wrecked GTO will not have the proper parts because it is a completely different platform.

To take your V6 car and the GTO and try to combine them into 1 car will be a huge headache. There are tons of parts you will need to purchase to make it all work. It will get very costly very quickly.

If you start with a LS1 car you could drop the entire drivetrain assembly out the bottom, K-member included. Once that is done, it would be a pretty strait forward project to remove the LS1 from the assembley and use what parts you'd need to swap in the LS2. It should all fit together pertty much like it was stock with few headaches. The final step would be to reinstall the drivetrain assembly into the car and get everything hooked back up.

I'm not sure of a few things...
            Would the LS1 throttle cable fit up to the LS2?
            Would you need to change engine harnesses and PCMs?
            Would you be able to use the belt driven accessories/bracketry from the LS2 or would you need to use the stuff off the LS1?

In any event, you'd have practically all the parts there to figure it out and test things.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Swapping an LS2 into an LS1 car seems about as unecessary as swapping an LS1 into an LT1 car though... actually, probably even more unecessary since the LS1 and LS2 engines are more similar than the LS1 and LT1.
              Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                Swapping an LS2 into an LS1 car seems about as unecessary as swapping an LS1 into an LT1 car though... actually, probably even more unecessary since the LS1 and LS2 engines are more similar than the LS1 and LT1.
                I agree. Its only a 50 HP difference.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TRANS AM IN EUROPE
                  you are from fbodyeurope? i m sure i remember your name
                  ... the one, yes ...

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                    The motor is swappable into a f-body, but your V6 car is not the best candidate. I would recommend swapping it into an LS1 car.
                    [ ... ]
                    Tnx, that's the info I wanted/needed, though it's not really the desired answer

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                      I agree. Its only a 50 HP difference.
                      Engine swaps make sense when you go big

Comment

Yes, I know, usually it's easier to get a V8 F-Body, but I'm not in the US, so the supply of V8 F-Bodies isn't that big ...
                        Give these guys a call..
                        http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/conversion_services
                        They seem to do this conversion often and could probably give you the details involved...
                        96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

Working...
                        X