2002 Z28 w/46K overheat problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Z28 w/46K overheat problem?

Ok, here the story. I have never had my temprature go past 210 degree. But yesterday on my way back from a 3 hour trip, my buddy was driving and looked down and my check gauge light came on. He looked @ the temprature and it was almost redline. We pull over and check the radaitor, and it kinda low, but not by much. so we get back in and go again this time with the ac off. we go for about 20 miles and decide to put the windows back up and turn the ac back on. immidtately the temprature raises to redline agian. agian we drop the windows and turn the ac off and the temprature goes right back down to normal. the temprature was about 70 degrees and we had 4 people in the car. also we were in 6th gear doing about 80 - 90miles per hour. kinda downshifting to 5th to pass people. i drove the car again around the city with the ac on and the temp stayed normal. has this happened to anybody before? any ideas of what the problem could be?

any ideas?

Comment

So many potential causes of overheating. Could be the thermostat, air in the system, bad waterpump, insufficient coolant, radiator cap not holding sufficient pressure, blown head gasket, gunk in the hoses, etc., etc.

It is also not uncommon for LS1's to experience carbon buildup in the combustion chambers which can cause the motor to run warmer than normal due to their conventional cooling.

The way you describe the way your car only gets hot under a significant load would lead me to believe it was either a radiator cap not holding sufficient pressure, air in the system, thermo, or WP going south. Could possible be a leak or blown head gasket as well. A cooling system compression test would help to deteermine that.

Comment

Working...
      X