??? about headers....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??? about headers....

Hello again from owen sound ontario,Happy new year to all. Before i perchace any kind of header, and y pipe, I was wondering witch would be the best,long tube verses shortys,pacesetters,bbk,kooks so on----Ypipe.Lots of options i know, but i only want to do it once.$ 2300.00 maybe more?.Car -1994 camaro lt1 t top 77000 klm, all org.All ready have a k/n cai.Any advice,I would like to get the most horsepower, from the bolt on as possible thank you jack.
    JackZ28
    K & N CAI
    Kooks Header LT's
    Free Flow Cat, Magnaflow Exhaust
    Y-Pipe
    Synthetic Fluids

A few questions that need to be answered to narrow things down a bit:

-What, if any emissions requirements do you need to meet?

-Is your car lowered or would you ever plan to lower it?

-How is your car used.... mainly a daily driver and stop light drags, or primarily track/top end requirements?

-Appears everything is stock right now, but what mods would you plan in the future? How far do these headers need to take you?

Would also be good if everyone indicated "$US" or "$Can" to make sure things are held in perspective.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Sorry about that,emissions yes,The car will not be lowered,it is a summer car only, lucky if it see"s rain.Iam not one to look for a race,however i would like the ponies there if i need them.canadian funds,Just like to bie the best application for my ride,that would give me max horsepower.Ihope this helps.--thanks jack.
      JackZ28
      K & N CAI
      Kooks Header LT's
      Y-Pipe
      Synthetic Fluids

Comment

"Long tube" headers will give you the best low end grunt for a street driven car. Problem is that they are technically not "emissions legal" because they relocate the cat (or require that you run dual cats). If you only have to pass a tailpipe test, you can pass with long tubes. If you have to pass a strict visual, they can fail lyou (assuming Canadian emissions requirements are similar to US requirements).

The next best setup would be midlength headers like the AS&M's. Fully coated from AS&M, with the Y-pipe, and connect to the stock cat, so they are "legal". You would probably be wise to invest in a high flow cat, and a large diameter cat-back exhaust system.

Just thinking out loud, you are talking about US$800 for the headers, maybe US$100-150 for the cat, and anywhere from US$350-650 for a cat-back. That's the cost for the parts..... labor would add to it. But its nothing you can't do yourself, with the right tools, a bit of patience and a good supply of band-aids.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks fred for your input,i will be getting longtubes with egr/air and o2 bung,1 3/4--3inch coated,y pipe-free flow cat.By the look of things pacesetter has the better bie. 432.99.y pipe 129.99 plus tax.Free flow cat 125.00.As for the exhaust i think magnaflow do just fine.Iwill be getting it tuned on the dyno when all said and done,i will also get a set of sub frame conectors to tighten the car up,beeing a t- roof.Oh yea i better bie some bandaids.---thanks --jack p/s should i do something with the chip or not.
          JackZ28
          K & N CAI
          Kooks Header LT's
          Y-Pipe
          Synthetic Fluids

Comment

The stock tuning on the LT1 PCM's is way too rich at WOT (power enrichment mode). Most tuners will guarantee you 15HP on a stock engine, simply by leaning out the PE mode A/F ratio. Let them know you have a CAI, and a healthy exhaust system, and they should be able to wring a few more ponies out of it. I'm assuming you are aware you can't do a "chip" on the 94.... you need to get a mail order flash program "tune" on your PCM (it can be done over the internet with the right software), or you can get tuning software and tune it yourself with a laptop. The mial order idea is probably the best.
            Fred

Comment

Working...
            X