water temp up and down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water temp up and down

i was drivin home from the mountains this past weekend. while i was up there replaced the opti and the water pump. my buddy also mentioned a small hole in one of the hoses from the water pump that was kinda rubbing against a pulley.

so on the way home, my temp gauge would rise and fall, repeatedly, never goin into the red until i came to a complete stop, as you would see alot of smoke coming from under the front pass side of the hood, were i think the hose is that he mentioned had a hole.

so the question is:
    1. bad water pump? (the one i put on was a used one with about 35k miles)
    2. or the hole in the hose got bigger?

thanks for any help.
    chris k
    1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Hole in the hose may have gotten worse. Also, you have to bleed the cooling system after opening it up. If you have air in the system, it can also cause that problem.

Do not let your car overheat - it can blow your head gaskets and then you have to take it all apart all over again.....
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

i had to drive the car home 4 hrs.. after that it has sat in my driveway for 2 days now. thanks for the reply.
      1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

Don't forget to bleed the cooling system . . . .
        Darrin C
        '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
        07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

there are little valves for the on 2 of the hoses i think? thats just to get the air out right?
          1996 Trans Am WS6

Comment

Yea you warm it up real good and open the bleeders for a few seconds (one at a time) to purge the air out. Start with the lowest one first.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

yeh ive done it before, buts its been months.. thanks
              chris
              1996 Trans Am WS6

Comment

I don't see any mention of replacing the coolant hose with the hole. If you have a hole, no matter how small, the system isn't going to hold the pressure and the boiling point is going to be reduced. Also lets air in the system when the system cools down. And, it doesn't take much in the way of a leak to damage your brand new Opti. The hose needs to be replaced before you bleed the system.

Shoebox has a detailed bleeding procedure on his website:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#radflush
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

i was most definitly replacing the hose. im pretty sure its the one below the opti that was rubbin against the crank pulley. so i hope the opti is alright.
                  1996 Trans Am WS6

Comment

Working...
                  X