could it be the thermostat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could it be the thermostat?

as some of you know, i posted a post about my temp rising and falling while driving. well today i started her up and went lookin for that leak in the hose...well there are no leaks, i can see what my buddy was talkin about were a hose had hit a pulley, but the cut isnt deep enough for a leak.... then i noticed some coolant around the neck for the upper hpse......

so im think maybe a bad themostat?

any thoughts?
    thanks
    chris k
    1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

If that heater hose on the top is not tight enough, it will leak when it heats up. That could cause coolant loss and allow air to enter the system causing the temp fluxuation you're seeing. If there's a nick in that hose, it'll eventually blow and leave you stranded - get it changed. Make sure that your radiator is full and the resovior is at the proper level and bleed the system. If you still have problems, it would have to be the thermostat. Other possibilities could be the system needs to be flushed really good too. Good Luck!
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

i was drivin it around today and i filled her with coolant, and the low coolant lights goes off. them temp is stayin low, not as low as it used to when its this cold out, but as soon as that light comes back on the temp raises to above the half way mark....
      so im thinkin the thermostat is sticking shut. but thats just my 2 cents.
      any ideas?
      thanks
      1996 Trans Am WS6

A4, 3" VForce Catback, Corvette C6 rims, Slotted and Drilled Rotors, 160*stat, BMR SFC, HPP3, B&M Shift Kit.

Comment

yeh i replaced the thermostat....nothing. same results, now theres a leak....which im starting to suspect its the used water pump i put on her. damn.
        1996 Trans Am WS6

Comment

Check the weephole at the bottom of the waterpump. If there's moisture there, it's the pump - but make sure that it's not a hose leaking first....
          Darrin C
          '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
          07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Working...
          X